Rule Question

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
I have a cue for special soft/short shot situations which reduces double hit, trap, push shots, etc. I call it a 'PUTTER'. It looks like a jump cue but has a softer tip. Is this 'OFFICIALY ILLEGAL' according to One Pocket rules? How about DDC rules?

5. Jumping​

Players may use jump shots in One Pocket as long as they are performed with the player’s own standard playing cue using legal jumping techniques as defined in General Rules. Specialized jump cues are not permitted in One Pocket.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I have a cue for special soft/short shot situations which reduces double hit, trap, push shots, etc. I call it a 'PUTTER'. It looks like a jump cue but has a softer tip. Is this 'OFFICIALY ILLEGAL' according to One Pocket rules? How about DDC rules?

5. Jumping​

Players may use jump shots in One Pocket as long as they are performed with the player’s own standard playing cue using legal jumping techniques as defined in General Rules. Specialized jump cues are not permitted in One Pocket.
Good question, but as far as I know, as long as a cue is legal, you can use it for a legal shot. It would be considered a jump cue if you jumped with it though, since you said yourself it looks like one, and it is not your "standard playing cue" :D

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Interesting.
How do you use it?
I could see elevating a cue in jumpshot form and avoiding a kiss by striking down on the ball and hopping into it. I would say if the cue was used that way it would be a jump cue regardless of the tip type. If the ball is coming up off the table at all I would say that's a specialized jump cue as per the rules, even if you're not jumping over the ball but still executing a shot by lifting the ball up.
I think would all depend on how you use the cue.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

5. Jumping​

since you use it for "special occasions" it would not be your standard playing cue
so i dont think it would /should be allowed in one pocket
even if technically if fits the definition to use it
it goes against the intent of the rule
JMHO

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I believe in the DDC 2023 One Pocket Finals - Chohan vs. Pinegar, Pinegar used an altered playing cue. Without reviewing the match, I believe he would unscrew the extension for some shots, and maybe even for jump shots. I believe his cue is extra long and possibly still light with fhe extension. Anyway at the time I was saying to myself; "how are they allowing him to play with that cue". I recall Pinegar did a jump masse' shot to jump the stack and then curve into Chohan game winning ball that was jawed in his corner scoring pocket. I believe he was successful but DCC rules now has the no jump ball off the table rule, so he lost the game, but they had to explain the rule to him. This is all from memory so I stand corrected if someone recalls better than I.

As far as I know there are no cue restrictions on standard playing cues. But BCAPL has restrictions on Jump Cues as far as weight and length. WPA I do not have a clue, and really could care less about their rules because their general rules do not cover One Pocket just the games they govern over like 8 / 9 ball and so forth. One Pocket rules has no rules on cues except for it is not illegal to shoot a jump shot with a jump cue.

We have all seen Efren change standard cues for certain shots, and of course the break shot, as others also do. The Hustler Days of going into a pool hall with one cue are all but over. But there again the great one, "Efren" did it this year at DCC".

I am old school that way. Play OP with one standard cue, unless there is a failure. Old BCA standards on cue length and weight, this is what Jay Helfert likes! There is something very cool about walking into a pool hall with one cue, and Efren did it on the biggest stage!
Whitey

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
since you use it for "special occasions" it would not be your standard playing cue
so i dont think it would /should be allowed in one pocket
even if technically if fits the definition to use it
it goes against the intent of the rule
JMHO
Hi Larry

The "intent of the rule" must not be to disallow all cues but our one playing cue because lots of people bring two or more to the table and switch from time to time. I wouldn't mind that being ruled out, but it apparently hasn't been.

I'd say that Tennessee's putter is ok unless there's a rule in the book that would cover it. Like sneaky said above, if a cue is of legal length, how we use it should govern. If I jump with it, it's a jump cue. If I don't, it's not.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.

5. Jumping​

This last year DCC has been sponsored by WPA, therefore they are using the WPA general rules with exceptions being DCC specific general rules.

This below rule is from DCC specific general rules that apply to all games. So you could not play with your cue!

Jump Cues Collapse
Jump Cues are not allowed. A player may jump with their playing cue only.

To further answer your question. In OP there are no specific standards for a playing cue. So it appears you can play with your specialized playing cue as long as you do not do a jump shot with it.
Good luck with that though, for TD's and Opponents will be all over that, I would suspect.

I am for playing with one standard cue only during a game. In between games then if the player wants to change to another cue, I am ok with that.
But one cue for all shots during that game unless their is a cue failure.
The above cue rule coupled with no gadgets including no cue extensions. Let all the other games allow all the gadgets they want, but for the sanctity of OP keep it out.
OP is the highest skilled game and therefore should carry the highest standard of play, of which to achieve that you would not allow gadgets, and use the bridge supplied.

Gadgets have one use, and that is to win. They have nothing to do with skill. I understand Gadget Sponsors. But I really do not notice those type of sponsors for OP events.
Whitey

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Hi Larry

The "intent of the rule" must not be to disallow all cues but our one playing cue because lots of people bring two or more to the table and switch from time to time. I wouldn't mind that being ruled out, but it apparently hasn't been.

I'd say that Tennessee's putter is ok unless there's a rule in the book that would cover it. Like sneaky said above, if a cue is of legal length, how we use it should govern. If I jump with it, it's a jump cue. If I don't, it's not.
hi john
hope all is well with you
we have not seen a pic of the cue and the op states its a cue for special shots so its not his "one playing cue"
so for now i still would say it would not be allowed
the people who bring 2 cues in one pocket the two cues meet all the variables of a normal cue
our rules state

5. Jumping​

the putter is not his "standard" playing cue but used for special shots like a jump cue is used for special shots
jmho
icbw

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
hi john
hope all is well with you
we have not seen a pic of the cue and the op states its a cue for special shots so its not his "one playing cue"
so for now i still would say it would not be allowed
the people who bring 2 cues in one pocket the two cues meet all the variables of a normal cue
our rules state

5. Jumping​

the putter is not his "standard" playing cue but used for special shots like a jump cue is used for special shots
jmho
icbw
The restriction there is about jumping. It says nothing about limiting the characteristics of cues that may be used for other purposes. And besides, I like to argue. 🤪

Nothing will shut me up faster than agreeing with me.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The restriction there is about jumping. It says nothing about limiting the characteristics of cues that may be used for other purposes. And besides, I like to argue. 🤪

Nothing will shut me up faster than agreeing with me.
I agree with you…..😜
(not really…😏)