Signup for Member's Tournament Chicago

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
That looks right -- and I notice you have us playing through Saturday to get down to 4 players left for Sunday morning. I wasn't sure whether it was 4 or 6 in Philly, but it definitely worked for an earlier finish Sunday. It does mean a long day Saturday, but if you are going to have a long day, that is the best one :)

Those who asked about expanding the field beyond 32, my answer would be no. The schedule/format we have is based on 32 players and it works. Whoever said wee hours of Sunday night/Monday morning, not true -- we will finish fine on Sunday. The only reason we did not at the first couple of MOT tourneys was we did not push the schedule Friday and Saturday. The schedule Miller posted gets us done at a reasonable hour on Sunday, which is what we did successfully in Philly. Yes, I know we did not have a full field in Philly, but we still used this same 32 player bracket and schedule -- the results would have been the same with a full field. Likewise if we decide to use a room with only 12 tables, the only change necessary is to start at noon on Friday, because the smaller number of tables ONLY AFFECTS Friday -- by Saturday AM we are down to 12 tables anyway.

Instead of expanded fields, I would much rather see more than one MOT a year, in different parts of the country. Hello CA again; hello Michaels in Cincinnati; hello Mazin's in MA and maybe back to Southern Rec in Memphis!! To me that is a much better way to "grow" our MOT events.

How about this, if we have two a year, then we make it that one of the two has to be a NEW location, so we continue to expand our geographic membership?! I like that idea A LOT!!!

The rub is that 1/2 the field gets knocked out the first evening – I know that we have been sensitive to that in the past. IMO, the only other option would be to play races to two (something that the collective group has been against historically) on the losers side Saturday. A “sub-option” to that would be races to two on the losers side until the bracket gets into payoff (7th/8th) matches moving forward. That probably gets too convoluted – besides, we’d have to start earlier on Saturday either way and we might have to play an extra round on Sunday if we do so regardless.

-------

I think the proposed bracket is the only way we get through a tournament in a reasonable time-frame (especially with a full field) which maintains races to three. Breaks down like this:
2 rounds – Friday
5 rounds – Saturday (7th/8th and 5th/6th)
3 rounds – Sunday (4th – 1st)

Lemme know if that works and if so, I’ll get the bracket printed up and sent to Mike…..

:)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The rub is that 1/2 the field gets knocked out the first evening – I know that we have been sensitive to that in the past. IMO, the only other option would be to play races to two (something that the collective group has been against historically) on the losers side Saturday. A “sub-option” to that would be races to two on the losers side until the bracket gets into payoff (7th/8th) matches moving forward. That probably gets too convoluted – besides, we’d have to start earlier on Saturday either way and we might have to play an extra round on Sunday if we do so regardless.

-------

I think the proposed bracket is the only way we get through a tournament in a reasonable time-frame (especially with a full field) which maintains races to three. Breaks down like this:
2 rounds – Friday
5 rounds – Saturday (7th/8th and 5th/6th)
3 rounds – Sunday (4th – 1st)

Lemme know if that works and if so, I’ll get the bracket printed up and sent to Mike…..

:)
Actually I think it is 1/4 of the field, not 1/2 that get knocked out Friday night. But yes, we have proven definitively that avoiding knock out rounds Friday night leads inevitably to overly late Sunday nights. We have that problem solved now and I sure don’t want us to go back. Our people for the most part come to hang with distant friends and have fun and to compete of course, and even knocked out on Friday that is available all weekend long.

Yes, print it thank you!

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Actually I think it is 1/4 of the field, not 1/2 that get knocked out Friday night. But yes, we have proven definitively that avoiding knock out rounds Friday night leads inevitably to overly late Sunday nights. We have that problem solved now and I sure don’t want us to go back. Our people for the most part come to hang with distant friends and have fun and to compete of course, and even knocked out on Friday that is available all weekend long.

Yes, print it thank you!

Yes. You're 100% correct. My bad.....
I'll get it printed and sent to Mike next weekend/early next week!
👍

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Yes, print it thank you!

And as I've always said...playing in the tournament for us is a win-win situation = cuz if you keep winning matches, that's great (y) but if you get knocked out early, that's also great, cuz now you have tons of time to match-up and gamble (y) time you wouldn't have if you were still in the tournament 👻

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD

Yes, print it thank you!

Not that I am wishing to start a discussion on Round Robin format, cause I'm not, but it is true that with RR you can play any number of players, break them down into groups, play all day Fri and Sat, and qualify whatever number you want for a final round of elimination on Sunday. Players can get much more play and Chris's has no shortage of tables to play as many as want to play. :) ....just sayin

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
There is a great restaurant to meet at early in the day...maybe breakfast? About 1 1/2 blocks from Chris's.
Okay, Mike. I do like a good breakfast. Is it down the street close to the Mexican restaurant ?

Still have not hit a ball since 1st week of Nov. Moved into new house 29th of Jan. Wife is trying to collect in life insurance.
2 Saturdays ago, she cleaned shower floor, but did not rinse floor of shower. Stepped into shower, didn't have a chance. Slipped
and fell on step into shower and cracked a rib. Hopefully get to hitting balls in a couple of weeks.

Still be ready for action :p (y) :oops:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Okay, Mike. I do like a good breakfast. Is it down the street close to the Mexican restaurant ?

Still have not hit a ball since 1st week of Nov. Moved into new house 29th of Jan. Wife is trying to collect in life insurance.
2 Saturdays ago, she cleaned shower floor, but did not rinse floor of shower. Stepped into shower, didn't have a chance. Slipped
and fell on step into shower and cracked a rib. Hopefully get to hitting balls in a couple of weeks.

OUCH! Sorry to hear that Robert darn, I hope your mending is going well!

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga

She seamed so charming and innocent when I met her......

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

‘Tell her I want my deposit back. The “accident” was for total disability in one pocket.

PoolDawg

Can I get on the waiting list? I just moved to Chicago a few months ago and have just starting hitting them agian..

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Can I get on the waiting list? I just moved to Chicago a few months ago and have just starting hitting them agian..
Your post count looks like it is still under the required level of participation in the forum to be eligible, but keep posting and you will be there soon!!

chicagomike

Verified Member
Unfortunately Fast Eddie had to cancel his entry. Joey A. is next up to fill his spot. Joey are you in?

chicagomike

Verified Member

The bfast place is about 2 blocks to the left as you exit Chris’s.