Which would you rather have?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
lll said:
there are 2 views id like to hear comments about. sjd in another post mentioned about risk / reward for shots based on whether you are getting or receiving the spot(large spots like we are talking about here).if i got dick's point correct he felt once the weaker player realizes the other player will not go 12 and out very often he can play alittle looser because his reward is greater than his risk. the better player has to be more careful because his risk if he misses is greater . this ties into beatles comment of you cant play your "normal" 8-8 game if you are getting or giving the spot.
my feeling always was ( im usually on the receiving end of the spot) if the player really can win at 10-5 he probably can win at any spot IF he just plays super safe and waits for opportunuties. the weaker player will usually make thefirst mistake or leave the first shot.imho
well???? comments please

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
androd said:
I don't know if you have, but I've played Tony and trying to get to 6 is a big job. He made a very high percentage of long rail banks on a tough table. I did a little better going to 5 but nothing special.
Rod.
Rod, when you were going to 5 or 6, what was TONY going to?;)

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
lll said:
well???? comments please

Larry,

You are reversing my example. I am looking at it from the "giving up the weight" point of view.
I'm saying, that IF I have the best of the game giving up 10 to 5...I have a better game giving 12 to 6. If it it a real tough see-saw battle at 10/5...I'd love changing it to 12/6.
I don't really care how safe they want to play...I'm saying I like the 12/6 game better. I've proven it to myself many times.

PS..The game gets much better for me, giving up 13 or even 14 to 7...IF, and only if, I have a see-saw game at 10/5.

frmn

Verified Member
the point of lenny's question was according to the tournament chart a player who would spot lenny 9-7 got a better spot 10-5 from frost than lenny got 12-6. he wants to know if the if the spot chart is correct.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
frmn said:
the point of lenny's question was according to the tournament chart a player who would spot lenny 9-7 got a better spot 10-5 from frost than lenny got 12-6. he wants to know if the if the spot chart is correct.

Frmn,

If I undestand you correctly, then yes, IMO... the spot chart is way out of whack.

frmn

Verified Member
sjd at the end of the month they've got a number for you out there.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
gulfportdoc said:
Rod, when you were going to 5 or 6, what was TONY going to?;)

Doc

Doc, He was going to 10, $200.00 a game. I was overwhelmed going to 6. We had played a year or so previously 10-8 and I had beat him.
Rod.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
androd said:
Doc, He was going to 10, $200.00 a game. I was overwhelmed going to 6. We had played a year or so previously 10-8 and I had beat him.
Rod.

Rod........How many years ago was this?

- Ghost

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
I got in a pinch and wanted to make some dough. Wanting to speed things up I adjusted to giving 8-4 where we usually play 10-5. Instead of making cash I barely made enough for the pool time!!

Something rarely considered is endgame - 10-6 the last ball is the last ball. Advantage to better player/mover.

10 to 5,and 8-7 both leave that extra end game ball. less advantage.

8 to 4, he needs one, you need one, and they're scattered all over.....WAY less advantage. That's because I make myself a favorite on the last ball.

That's why I need 10-6......

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
frmn said:
Actually the guy gave me 7-6 and he got 10-5 from Scott and I got 12-6 from Scott, guess it is going to be changed as it is incorrect. I might be a babe in the woods as Dick says but I am not totally retarded. :cool:

senor

Verified Member
newfosgatesucks said:
I got in a pinch and wanted to make some dough. Wanting to speed things up I adjusted to giving 8-4 where we usually play 10-5. Instead of making cash I barely made enough for the pool time!!

Something rarely considered is endgame - 10-6 the last ball is the last ball. Advantage to better player/mover.

10 to 5,and 8-7 both leave that extra end game ball. less advantage.

8 to 4, he needs one, you need one, and they're scattered all over.....WAY less advantage. That's because I make myself a favorite on the last ball.

That's why I need 10-6......

Good point that noone had brought up through 50-something responses...you are completely right.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Rod........How many years ago was this?

- Ghost

OPG, When you get older time flies by, I am not really sure maybe 2/4 yrs. Played previously 1/3 yrs. before. I don't have a good conception of time, never did. Someone would say I was in NY spring of 1966, without some special event (good or bad) I never remember where I was at any point in time, nor do I remember when something happened, I remember the events just not when they occured.
Rod.
PS, Tell me about your game with Tony.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
androd said:
OPG, When you get older time flies by, I am not really sure maybe 2/4 yrs. Played previously 1/3 yrs. before. I don't have a good conception of time, never did. Someone would say I was in NY spring of 1966, without some special event (good or bad) I never remember where I was at any point in time, nor do I remember when something happened, I remember the events just not when they occured.
Rod.

Rod......I just happened to draw him once in one of the One Pocket tournaments.

- Ghost

senor

Verified Member
androd said:
Rod.

It's been more than a year, Rod. I haven't seen you in more than a year. The last time I played Tony was in 2001, and I know you have played him since then, probably just around the time my golf career began in 2007 (?).

Now that I think about it and put it in writing, I can't believe that was 8/9 years ago I played him.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
androd said:
Rod.

Rodney,

I find that amazing. You and I have exactly the same concept of time. ( luckily, you have Senor to keep track ! )

I can only remember where I was, at really major events, like Kennedy's asassination, or 9/11.
All other dates, including several weddings and childbirth dates, (I am ashamed to say)... are blurred in an alcoholic haze, or endless hours in a pool room.

I am quite often, off by 5-10 years, as to where I was,...when.

I can't blame it entirely on dotage...I was the same way at 30 yrs. of age.

San <---wishes he had PERFECT recall,...like the Beardman !.:eek: :D :D

Last edited:

senor

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Rodney,

I find that amazing. You have exactly the same concept of time that I have. (you need Senor to keep score ?)

I can only remember where I was, at really major events, like Kennedy's asassination, or 9/11.
All other dates (including several weddings and childbirth's) are blurred in an alcoholic haze or endless hours in a pool room.

I don't think I would do any better, 9/11 is the reason I know that I last played Tony in 2001.

Tony, Amar and Bryce were here and I played Tony first. Later on during their visit, I played Amar and busted him and Bryce. I think Tony had left or they had gotten into a little lovers quarrel and weren't in together that time. I gave Amar a loaner so he could find more action, but that was like giving money to Bernie Madhoff. I later saw Amar at the US Open and 9/11 was Tuesday of that week, if I recall correctly.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
senor said:
I don't think I would do any better, 9/11 is the reason I know that I last played Tony in 2001.

Tony, Amar and Bryce were here and I played Tony first. Later on during their visit, I played Amar and busted him and Bryce. I think Tony had left or they had gotten into a little lovers quarrel and weren't in together that time. I gave Amar a loaner so he could find more action, but that was like giving money to Bernie Madhoff. I later saw Amar at the US Open and 9/11 was Tuesday of that week, if I recall correctly.

Senor,

You are correct on the day of the week...Anyone old enough to remember that day...is old enough to know what a dividing line that really was, between the way we were...and where we are now.