Learning to play Bank pool question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitey & lll, Howdy;

Well, thought I was getting things back in order. Tony was a no show today so
    I went and did my normal stuff, check stroke, some Corner 5 and +2's then
    went into Rotation for 3 racks and some 14.1, 4 racks. Everything was doing
    fine. The Banks I attempted went in the hole, not all but the misses weren't to
    far off so I felt good about that. Then the tourney started, you'd be wrong to
    think I did well. Felt like I got steamrolled by a heard of midget Hippos. Up-n-
    down then up-n-down and out ... I did get the "Shiney new Quarter" for being
    the first one out. Hung around and watched the rest play. Why not it was 99*
    and they had the swamp coolers working ... .

Now I need to get the solo working stuff to meld with the other folks too stuff.

As always, all thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

hank
    Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...

Comment

• I had a former student come over the other day, he wanted me to work with him on 8-ball strategy. But I was unable to for my daughter and family came over, so he hit by himself. But I stepped in on him when he was ready to stop practicing, and he had about 8 balls on the table, and I gave him a strategy lesson on that layout concerning shooting stripes or solids. He then asked me if shooting on a 5 x10 would screw him up for the bar table 4 x 8 tournament tonight. I said; "no". He thought he was really practicing well. He won the tournament, his first one ever, and he went undefeated straight through.

I think practicing by himself without me there allowed him to focus more, and I gave him just enough input to give him what he thought was a mental edge. I mean he is the type that has a million things going through his head on each shot. If I would of coached him up for an hour then the tournament would of been a disaster for him, to much going on in his head.

For you and everyone our age, I believe it is going to be a roller coaster ride, it is not like when we were young and had instant recall. Once we got a shot, we had it. Go a week or two without shooting and still got it. Heck I can not remember short term worth a heck and I believe this effects pool. Whitey

Comment

• Whitey, Howdy;

Thinkin' your take on what happened with your student is what happened.
        Good to hear he won his tourney.

Found out why Tony didn't make it Tues. He passed away that afternoon. I was
        told about it yesterday by 2 of his nieces. Congestive heart failure.

Anyway, ... I was warming up when I got the news and just kept on warming up
        Things were flowing kinda well nothing special. Got into the tourney and walked
        right through it to win. Yea, me! Along the way things that were being worked
        on were working. Perhaps not at 100% but above 45%. Being 9-ball shot selection
        is limited, at best. I was able to connect the dots several times to make some
        shots I wouldn't have even thought of a short while ago. Thank you and
        everyone else that has contributed here for y'all's support. I think that Tony,
        may have had a hand in putting down the Hipster Canteen Mgr. Tony loved
        shooting Banks. I'm gonna miss him.

hank

Comment

• Sorry for your lost! Shooting partners are very special, and Tony loving banks may of meant he was more than likely an old school 9-ball player. Great win, and Tony was right there with you making those winning shots! Whitey

Comment

• Whitey, Howdy;

Thanks.

He spent most of his life in the Bay area around San Francisco, moved back here
            in the early 2000's. He barely talked about his early years of playing pool.
            It's the reputation in this area as "The One to Beat" that I first heard about. But
            that was before his stroke, and the open heart surgery he'd had before I first met
            him. Gonna feel lonely sittin' at the table we shared during the Tourneys.

hank

Comment

• sorry for your loss hank.
              i think tony was guiding your hand and smiling from above....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
                I had a former student come over the other day, he wanted me to work with him on 8-ball strategy. But I was unable to for my daughter and family came over, so he hit by himself. But I stepped in on him when he was ready to stop practicing, and he had about 8 balls on the table, and I gave him a strategy lesson on that layout concerning shooting stripes or solids. He then asked me if shooting on a 5 x10 would screw him up for the bar table 4 x 8 tournament tonight. I said; "no". He thought he was really practicing well. He won the tournament, his first one ever, and he went undefeated straight through.

I think practicing by himself without me there allowed him to focus more, and I gave him just enough input to give him what he thought was a mental edge. I mean he is the type that has a million things going through his head on each shot. If I would of coached him up for an hour then the tournament would of been a disaster for him, to much going on in his head.

For you and everyone our age, I believe it is going to be a roller coaster ride, it is not like when we were young and had instant recall. Once we got a shot, we had it. Go a week or two without shooting and still got it. Heck I can not remember short term worth a heck and I believe this effects pool. Whitey
                coach whitey....i like the ring to that......
                congratulations on your students success.

Comment

• Originally posted by hankh View Post
                  Whitey & lll, Howdy;

Well, thought I was getting things back in order. Tony was a no show today so
                  I went and did my normal stuff, check stroke, some Corner 5 and +2's then
                  went into Rotation for 3 racks and some 14.1, 4 racks. Everything was doing
                  fine. The Banks I attempted went in the hole, not all but the misses weren't to
                  far off so I felt good about that. Then the tourney started, you'd be wrong to
                  think I did well. Felt like I got steamrolled by a heard of midget Hippos. Up-n-
                  down then up-n-down and out ... I did get the "Shiney new Quarter" for being
                  the first one out. Hung around and watched the rest play. Why not it was 99*
                  and they had the swamp coolers working ... .

Now I need to get the solo working stuff to meld with the other folks too stuff.

As always, all thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

hank
                  look at you hank
                  rolling off the tip of your tongue..."corner 5 and plus2 " systems.....
                  alittle while ago you thought that was a language you didnt speak..............
                  nice to see you are assimilating things.
                  Last edited by lll; 06-30-2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• lll, Howdy;

Thanks for the condolences above.

Think I'm gonna stick with the current list of ingredients for this stew for awhile.
                    I'm not sure that now is a good time to add more until the current stew is better
                    understood and properly digested. I was never much of a numbers person to
                    begin with so the newer system's set would truly be like using a mixmaster
                    inside my head. I have bookmarked the links and will (I promise), get to
                    them after what I've already tossed into the pot becomes digested. It sure looks
                    tempting though ... thanks.

hank

Comment

• lll,
                      Did you delete your kicking systems? I was starting to study them, and thought they were very interesting!
                      I was wondering, is there also a kicking system for half the table, say from the side pocket to the foot rail. It seems that this would be very beneficial for OP. thanks, Whitey

Comment

• sids system
                        http://www.mypoolblog.com/uploads/1/...il_systems.pdf
                        http://www.mypoolblog.com/uploads/1/...sid_part_2.pdf
                        whitey
                        the short table version is in part 2
                        i will call you to discuss

Comment

• lll, Howdy;

Thanks for re-posting them.

hank

Comment

• Whitey & lll, Howdy;

Nope haven't fallen off the edge of the Earth...

Having a few moments of inspired brilliance inter-spaced with huge swaths of
                            utter frustration. Learning curve is less now but still fairly steep. Rome weren't
                            built inna day and I'm on day 29. Still looks/feels as if I'm only just coming off
                            the starting line and I reckon I truly am still near the Start. Whitey you've been
                            at the Banks game for awhile now and Larry you have as well so the rewards
                            are there I just need keep on trying and working on the tuning of Angle, speed,
                            hit & end result.
                            Just thought I'd let y'all know I'm still pluggin' away at this and Thank y'all for
                            the help and suggestions/support.

hank

PS. I mis-spoke, been at it 4 mo an 9 days still feels up hill both ways ... chuckle.
                            Last edited by hankh; 07-12-2019, 09:39 PM. Reason: Add PS.

Comment

• hank
                              being the coach is easy ....
                              you are doing all the hard work
                              keep at it

Comment

• Whitey & lll, Howdy;

Well I reckon things are close to fallin' into place. How do I know,
                                well, today when I went to practice it felt like my entire 'game' had
                                just flat dropped right out of my butt. Couldn't buy a shot for almost
                                3.5 hours. Broke'em down and came home.
                                8-Ball tomorrow, wonder what will (or won't), happen. This will be
                                interesting.
                                Anyone else go through something like this? Things that were or appeared
                                to be coming together just falling apart all of a sudden? Did alignment checks,
                                seemed fine, table checked out ok, Swamp cooler on when I got there and
                                table stable with temp. and humidity. , .

Comment

Working...
                                X