Artie and Clyde at the "Northshore Club."

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Many years ago, I don’t remember exactly, maybe Artie does, Clyde Childress came up to Freddy’s “Norhtshore Club” looking for action with a “High”$ backer. He comes in ALL cocky and talking shit! After hemming and howling around for awhile the first night, Artie and Clyde decided to play, some for $500.00 a game. Clyde has Artie stuck 4 games, Artie comes back and beats him 3 in a row, and he QUITS, and says, “I’ll play some more tomorrow, but, none of this $500.00 a game crap, We’re going to bet something!” After the match, Clyde looks over to Freddy and says, “How do you lose to this guy, He NEVER makes an easy “cross-corner!” Freddy just shrugged His shoulders.

The next day they decided to play 5 ahead for $20,000.00! Before they started the match, Freddy came around with a guy no one had seen around the room before. Freddy just introduced, Him as, “He’s a friend of mine from the neighborhood,” He was an “Italian” friend.

Before the match started, Freddy asked, “What are you guys betting?” Clyde’s backer replied, “Not enough, just 20 dimes!” Freddy doesn’t say a word, but, His ”friend” politely says, “You don’t have to just bet $20.000.00, you can bet a $100,000.00 with NO problem!” This man had NEVER seen Artie play before in life, only that Freddy told Him to bet on Artie. Well, that ended the woofing about the weak bet!

This was the MOST intense match I’d EVER seen Artie play! It was like He really wanted to teach this guy a lesson He wouldn’t forget for being SO cocky! It was REALLY something to watch, the “gear” that Artie got on this guy was, merciless, Artie proceeded to beat Clyde 5 IN A ROW! As that wasn’t bad enough, Artie let Clyde ONLY get 1 ball in the 5 games! When it was over, the backer was mad, Clyde was SO pissed off, he took his cue and stuck it in the drop ceiling! He just couldn’t believe someone could beat him that BADLY!

He looks over to Artie and can see that Artie looks like He’s pissed off too. He say’s to Artie, “What the f**k are you pissed off about, you won the MONEY, didn’t you?” Artie replies to the guy calm as can be, and says, “You really want to know what I’m hot about?” Clyde says, “You’re damn right I do!” Artie says, “If you really want to know the TRUTH, I’m hot YOU made a ball in the 5 games, I didn’t want to let YOU make1 ball!” “Now, are YOU happy!”

This is the kind of will power and intensity Artie had, when He put Himself to the test, NOT ONLY to beat someone but to humiliate them at the same time, if He thought they deserved it!

P.S. It's been brought to my attention by our resident, "detainee" in the M.O. over in cell block 926 that I misspelled Clyde's last name. I apologize for not spelling the late Mr. Chidlress name correctly.

BTW, once again, "Ronnie Allen" COULD NOT GET STAKED AT THE GAME HE AND ARTIE AGREED UPON! NOT FOR, $20.000.00, nor $10.000.00, or $5,000.00, NOT EVEN for $2,000.000!

The game they made was, 11-8, Ronnie GETS ALL THE BREAKS!

Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
This is a very intriguing story and something that I would certainly have loved to see. I'm sure many others feel the same way. To play a style of one pocket that allows you to completely shut down a formidable opponent is to have the talent and knowledge that should not pass and be lost to future generations of one pocket enthusiasts.

I have never met or even seen Artie, never seen him play. To me, reading of him, he represents an era that is almost gone. It is hard for me to imagine that an individual, claiming to have as much knowledge as Artie claims unabashedly to have, and having those claims to be corroborated by many, would some day go off into eternity without sharing his knowledge and providing a record of his legacy to the game.

Whether its a book or a video, whether its for pay or for free, this needs to happen if Artie is to be remembered for what he himself claims to be, by the one pocket community. That's just my opinion Artie.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
This is a very intriguing story and something that I would certainly have loved to see. I'm sure many others feel the same way. To play a style of one pocket that allows you to completely shut down a formidable opponent is to have the talent and knowledge that should not pass and be lost to future generations of one pocket enthusiasts.

I have never met or even seen Artie, never seen him play. To me, reading of him, he represents an era that is almost gone. It is hard for me to imagine that an individual, claiming to have as much knowledge as Artie claims unabashedly to have, and having those claims to be corroborated by many, would some day go off into eternity without sharing his knowledge and providing a record of his legacy to the game.

Whether its a book or a video, whether its for pay or for free, this needs to happen if Artie is to be remembered for what he himself claims to be, by the one pocket community. That's just my opinion Artie.

If there is enough interest shown by the Pool community, this project may have a chance to come to volition! I've had, MANY, MANY hours of conversations with Him regarding His thoughts on this endeavor and it could possibly happen. Right now We're just testing the waters and kicking around some ideas. If we do come to a conclusion and reach an agreement, then maybe a "sample" page or two might be a primer that's needed.

There is a thread I started with a Poll to vote, you, yourself could start there by voting! :):):)

JG-in-KY

Verified Member
From
Whitley City, Kentucky
Well I live in a town about 60 miles south of where Clyde lived. In my late teens when I became hooked on the game, I always heard his name come up when talking about betting high and playing good. Every year I nominate him for the Banks Hall of Fame and ask for input about his speed. Freddie graciously shed some light about his game.
Not trying to be negative but did Artie ever lose? Doesn't everyone lose occasionally? Even as great as Buddy Hall was, he describes some losses in his fine book. Not a Doubting Thomas, just would like to hear about some (if there is any) of his defeats on the green baize. Thanks!
P.S. - would also like to hear of any Clyde stories.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Well I live in a town about 60 miles south of where Clyde lived. In my late teens when I became hooked on the game, I always heard his name come up when talking about betting high and playing good. Every year I nominate him for the Banks Hall of Fame and ask for input about his speed. Freddie graciously shed some light about his game.
Not trying to be negative but did Artie ever lose? Doesn't everyone lose occasionally? Even as great as Buddy Hall was, he describes some losses in his fine book. Not a Doubting Thomas, just would like to hear about some (if there is any) of his defeats on the green baize. Thanks!
P.S. - would also like to hear of any Clyde stories.

JG; I personally saw Artie lose ONE time, where HE HAD NO CHANCE to WIN that day! It was playing, "8 ball" with Jonny Cannella from Texas. They played for 8 hrs. and Johnny ONLY missed 2 balls the entire time, He had the BEST stroke I've ever seen on a "Pool" player! When it was over, Artie asked him to play some more tomorrow, He said, "Sure." He NEVER showed up! Now, what does that tell you about Artie's game, the guy just got thru playing the BEST He can play and WON"T come back to play the next day! Sounds to me the guy was smart enough to figure out that He just shot lights out and Artie still wants to play, He must of figured, "I can't play any better than that and He still wants to play!" He knew He couldn't win, ONLY with another miracle play by him!

Artie and Bugs played about 25-35 times over the years, Bugs beat Artie 7 or 8times playing EVEN! Bugs NEVER beat Artie playing EVEN or ANY OTHER WAY on a 5x10 table!

The ONLY person Artie lost to and didn't get EVEN or WIN, is when He played Isador "Pony" Rosen for $5.00 a game 1 pocket when He was learning the game. Pony had Him stuck 2 games and was about to win the 3rd, when Pony dropped DEAD in the middle of the 3rd game! Artie lost a "sawbuck" to him!

Last edited:

scott1313

Great story. That is the type of one pocket I love to watch and play. You keep tightening the noose and watch good players fall apart.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
While Ronnie Allen might have had some difficulties getting staked for one match, I find it hard to believe he was perpetually scared of getting 11 to 8 from Herr Bodendorfer. Having said that, I do find his commentary really refreshing and I would like to see a book of his strategies. I say "strategies" because I think all the "shots" have been laid bare; it's the more subjective theories that I tend to be attracted to (think Ghost's Manifesto).

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
While Ronnie Allen might have had some difficulties getting staked for one match, I find it hard to believe he perpetually scared of getting 11 to 8 from Herr Bodendorfer.

Straight, Have you ever seen Artie play? Do you know anyone personally that has played or seen Artie play?

Did you read the post where I stated Artie and Bugs played, Many, Many times and that Artie WON, 80% of the time. At the time they played ALL of their matches, Ronnie and Bugs were considered by most "knowledgeable" players to be #1 and #2 in the WORLD! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure where Artie fit the pecking order! ;)

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Straight, Have you ever seen Artie play? Do you know anyone personally that has played or seen Artie play?

Did you read the post where I stated Artie and Bugs played, Many, Many times and that Artie WON, 80% of the time. At the time they played ALL of their matches, Ronnie and Bugs were considered by most "knowledgeable" players to be #1 and #2 in the WORLD! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure where Artie fit the pecking order! ;)

I never saw him play, but I can tell from folks like yourself that he played top-flight one pocket. All I'm saying is that it is hard to believe Ronnie Allen would duck Artie getting 11-8. That is all.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
While Ronnie Allen might have had some difficulties getting staked for one match, I find it hard to believe he was perpetually scared of getting 11 to 8 from Herr Bodendorfer. Having said that, I do find his commentary really refreshing and I would like to see a book of his strategies. I say "strategies" because I think all the "shots" have been laid bare; it's the more subjective theories that I tend to be attracted to (think Ghost's Manifesto).
If I understand correctly, Ronnie was spotting Artie 11-8, but Ronnie was getting all the breaks -- so the break and the spot were sort of off-setting each other.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I never saw him play, but I can tell from folks like yourself that he played top-flight one pocket. All I'm saying is that it is hard to believe Ronnie Allen would duck Artie getting 11-8. That is all.

Maybe there is a little confusion here, Ronnie wanted to GIVE Artie, 11-8 and Ronnie takes ALL the breaks!

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I am going to ask Nick about Artie the next time I go down to his shop. Be interesting to see what his comments are.

I've told the story already here about Nick and Arties encounter. If I can find it instead of typing it again, I'll post it. But, I'll give you a hint, Nick and his Dad left with less bankroll!

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
This is the reply that Artie gave the guy over on the other side in the M.O. section!
Enjoy!

SJD I will make it clear what happened. I never asked Ronnie for a spot in my whole life. Ronnie couldn't get backed to play me they game we both loved. Ronnie made the game. 11 to 8 he gets all the brakes. WE both loved the game. So you wont have to comment about the game. Because we both loved the game.
I sad how much do you want to play for? Ronnie said 20 thousand dollars. Five games ahead. And I said Ok. Then I said what table do you want to play on. And Ronnie picket out the table. His own balls and his own cue ball. And I said ok. I new everything that was going on. The table was ok. Ronnie own pool balls and cue ball was ok. And I understood why he wanted to use his own pool balls and cue ball. They made him feel comfortable. There was nothing wrong with the pool balls cue ball or table. As far as I could see.

Again we both loved the game. I said we will put the money up with Gorge Brunt Grady Mike Macy Freddy. And Ronnie said ok. TR was there Mon ro Brock and other backers. Ronnie came back and said He will play me for 10 thousand dollars. I said ok. Then Ronnie said I will play you for 5 thousand dollars. I said ok. Then We both seen that Ronnie couldn't get a backer. I said maybe some other time. That's where it was left of.

Ronnie could have one a lot of money if he one. Because my backer Race track Phil had 50 thousand dollars on him. And there were a lot of other people who would have bet on me. No matter what game I would have played Ronnie. Could have one a easy 100 or two hundred thousand dollars. The people who would have bet on me. Would have been Gorge brunt and his backers Romaine who had lots of money. Freddy all the people who where at the tournament from Chicago. All the Black players from Chicago and Milwaukee. And all of Bugs backers and followers.

And all of Freddy's backers Who had very big money. There is no telling how much money Ronnie could have one. I would say unlimited. And I believe you would have baked Ronnie. Maybe not for 20 thousand dollars. But I believe you would have backed Ronnie. But Ronnie couldn't get no money to play me. We both no Ronnie had the reputation as being number one or number two greatest one pocket player.

But when Ronnie couldn't get backed there was nothing to talk about. And the one game I would have loved to play Ronnie would have been we both play one handed. And for that game Ronnie would have gotten money to play. And I no you believe Ronnie would have robed me playing one handed. I wish we would have played that game. It never happened. And we would have played even.

Ronnie again had the reputation of being the greatest one handed one pocket player in the world. All I can say. We both would have loved the game. I just want to say. I never lost playing one pocket one handed to anybody in the world. And I played anybody who wanted to play one handed one pocket or eight ball. That would have made a great DVD and people would have loved it. I could keep going on. The past is gone and all I can do is go on from today. And have a different ending.

Not to bust any balls. But I could have gotten more money getting backed. Playing one pocket then any other player. Of my time. And I am talking about millions. Because of the people I new. And my reputation of being honest. And my win percentage also helped me.

Ronnie had the reputation. But I got the money. Have a great day And keep posting. Weather people think its good or bad. Because it keeps the site alive. Im sorry you never seen me play. I think if you would have seen me play 5% as much as you seen Ronnie play. I think your opinion would be a little different. Its very hard to give a honest opinion if you never seen a person play. Even if you see someone play. Its hard to give a honest opinion. Because you never no what is going on in the game.

One last reply. Its hard to bet against anyone who wins almost all the time. All I can say I enjoyed playing pool. And I loved the people and players of my time. Nobody can take away our memories and all the different events we had and lived. If I was there with you all I can say is. Lets go and get a drink. And tomorrow is another day.

Keep living and enjoying your life and do all the things you haven't done yet. IF YOU PAY POOL YOUR COOL.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I've told the story already here about Nick and Arties encounter. If I can find it instead of typing it again, I'll post it. But, I'll give you a hint, Nick and his Dad left with less bankroll!

I know that. I'm just saying that it would be interesting to hear Nick's comments on the Chicago scene 30 years later is all.

JG-in-KY

Verified Member
From
Whitley City, Kentucky
Thanks for the stories, mr3cushion. I also never got to see Artie in action but am convinced he could dab it! Would make for an interesting book on Artie's life.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
If I understand correctly, Ronnie was spotting Artie 11-8, but Ronnie was getting all the breaks -- so the break and the spot were sort of off-setting each other.

ive never heard the break was worth three balls.....................:eek:
i beleive most would say the break is worth 1-2 balls so artie was getting a 1-2 ball spot
but he was always starting on the defensive
the more experienced could comment on whats that worth

they never played so its a moot point.....:(