Coronavirus and old geezers (like me and you)......

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
this is weird.....no hockey or baseball to watch

if my horse track closes, I might have a conniption (although last Saturday was not kind to the wallet....)

beatle

Verified Member
the govt doesnt take care of you. if you get it is because you let yourself get in contact with a sick person. no govt can stop that.

you get it by accident. sometimes you can prevent it and sometimes you cant. if you stay away from people, your chances are greatly improved. if you go to gatherings you likely will get it with the way it is spreading.

there is no vaccine or medicine to save you at this time . the govt.s job is too give guidence and keep the public from panicking as much as they can.

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
In any crisis the most important thing is to keep your head and think clearly.
I agree with Doc, there is much more going on here than meets the eye. Don't panic.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Just found out 2 kids at my grandsons school were in contact with someone with the virus today , they are shutting the schools down Monday for 3 weeks, I guess it's official ,it's in Mister Jackets Neighborhood

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I would remember what happened in the Superdome and prepare yourselves. The truth is our country isn't prepared and people from both sides in power don't care about you. Most of our meds come from China and India... Most of our saline bags come from Puerto Rico...

alpodog

Verified Member
It's been a good life, I just hope our children can weather the storm. Nature corrects our ignorant deeds and we are the ants in this era. I wish us all the luck!!!!!!!!!!!

GoldCrown

Verified Member
This chit is for real. Play safe or sell out. Stay around for spite.

Last edited:

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
I've been closer to life and death in the pool rooms and in my youth with the many diseases I was exposed too that this non-plague.

No way, at this point in my life am I going to closet myself and wait.

What happens if no cure is found....

What happens if Henderson wins every event from now on and I never get to beat em even?

What happens to all the good food on the cruise ships?

To stop living at this point in life, and just be life-ing is not how I want to enjoy the yrs I have left above ground.

As a good friend of mine always says in FL retirement community....''None of us are getting out of this alive''.

Word is that Florida retirement communities are breeding grounds for STDs.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
What troubles me is the over the top reaction to the coronavirus threat. The media and governmental agencies are having a field day warning of doom and gloom because it benefits them financially to do so. I recall --as I'm sure many of the older guys here do-- 3 or 4 past epidemics over the decades that caused widespread panic and dire warnings, that turned out to be nothing extraordinary.

Here is a statistical source valid through yesterday, March 11.: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Similar statistics are here: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

If one scrolls down to look at the chart, it lists how many affected in each country, how many deaths, and how many coronavirus cases per 1 million population. The worst hit seems to be Italy, at 206 cases of the virus per million population. China's is only 56 cases per million. These numbers should not keep a sensible person up at night.

Italy also seems to have the highest death rate per cases of the virus. It's interesting that the Diamond Princess cruise ship had the lowest incidence of death per illness at 1% (7 of 696 infected), despite that they were in close quarters. Perhaps the passengers were younger healthier individuals.

Putting this into perspective, in a normal year many thousands die of typical influenza. The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) states the following: "CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010." Now, I don't believe those figures because of the CDC's methodology. They admit that they don't actually know. From their website: "Most people who die from seasonal flu-related complications are not tested for flu, or they seek medical care later in their illness when seasonal influenza can no longer be detected from respiratory samples."

Still, when one compares the estimated typical number of deaths from regular flu virus, and compares it to the statistics available for the coronavirus, the current threat may not even rise to that level. And it certainly doesn't justify the high level of panic and disruption that it's getting. Naturally those of us in high risk groups --the elderly frail, those immunocompromised, those who are already sick with some other disease-- should be cautious: wash/sanitize hands, avoid sick individuals, etc, just like during regular flu season. Some of us should avoid large crowds, or even limit exposure to other people. That's why I personally quit going to the DCC. Every time I went, I picked up the flu. But it's likely that non-elderly people and people who are in good health have no reason to be fearful.

If a person wants to be informed, he's not going to get an honest appraisal from the big establishment media, because they profit from exaggeration and half-truths. One has to dig around the web a little to find out the actual statistics minus the panic incitement.

~Doc
You still think the world is flat and the sun and planets revolve around the earth? Columbus and Galileo prefer to differ.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Word is that Florida retirement communities are breeding grounds for STDs.
One of the favorite sayings of women in Retirement centers is that the single men are either looking for a nurse or a purse, lol, I thought that was hilarious the first 1000 times I heard it

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
For about the first 5 years of Aids , the experts said you could only get it if you were a gay man and having sex in the back of the building, why would this be different?
You can't be serious. Totally untrue. You think unscientific kooks know more about covid-19 than virologists or epidemiologists?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I am reasonably healthy at 80 years old, but realize I am in the more at risk group if/when I get it. I will be going to Hard Times, Sacramento today, hoping enough players show up to have our weekly one pocket tournament and pick up a little $ for a Cousins Cue I sold. (I have around 30 I am trying to move). It may be the last one for me for a while. I do take this seriously and intend to stay home when the numbers they predict start showing up. I will not be traveling or flying on any airplanes, so my plans to attend the Hall of Fame Dinner at Buffalos are cancelled. It is hard enough to travel anymore when you are not at risk. Stay safe my pool playing friends.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
I am reasonably healthy at 80 years old, but realize I am in the more at risk group if/when I get it. I will be going to Hard Times, Sacramento today, hoping enough players show up to have our weekly one pocket tournament and pick up a little $ for a Cousins Cue I sold. (I have around 30 I am trying to move). It may be the last one for me for a while. I do take this seriously and intend to stay home when the numbers they predict start showing up. I will not be traveling or flying on any airplanes, so my plans to attend the Hall of Fame Dinner at Buffalos are cancelled. It is hard enough to travel anymore when you are not at risk. Stay safe my pool playing friends.

Wise decisions John. I've been busy this week so I haven't been able to get to the pool room, but I plan to go today to Crown for 14.1. My strategy is to ask that the balls be cleaned before we start, wash my hands, have my opponent wash his hands, wipe down the table rails, and then play. I realize I am taking a bit of a risk because who knows what has been spewed on the cloth. Not going to wear a mask while I play, or wear gloves, ala Corey, but I will take care not to put my fingers on my face until after washing my hands again. I'll also bring my home made hand sanitizer since all the stores were cleaned out by the profiteers who pounced a few weeks ago and bought all of it up to make a quick buck on the pandemic. Nice.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
You can't be serious. Totally untrue. You think unscientific kooks know more about covid-19 than virologists or epidemiologists?

Me :For about the first 5 years of Aids , the experts said you could only get it if you were a gay man and having sex in the back of the building, why would this be different?

You :You can't be serious. Totally untrue. You think unscientific kooks know more about covid-19 than virologists or epidemiologists?

What do you think is totally untrue? They first acknowledged the virus in 1980 or 81, it had already been around a couple of years or more by then .
Rock Hudson died in Oct of 1985 and they were still convinced it was gay men back doors and intravenous drug users at that time Then they had to add women intravenous users breast feeding,
because some little kids had it.
As far as trusting scientists, a huge portion of them get government funding either directly or indirectly, so they have a conflict of interest right out of the gate.
It has also been my experience, that people who either have authority, or just view themselves as authorities, can justify damn near anything they do , in the pursuit of the greater good.
Never considering nor caring, that they do not have the right, to make those decisions for other people.
You: Unscientific kooks.
Is this an all inclusive list, of everyone who disagrees with the "official" story?
Don't worry though , the president said it will die off in the summer , and he has all the top people advising him on a daily basis, right?

beatle

Verified Member
the top people in the medical field, not political people give out credible info as they get it. it changes as it goes along. you as a person has to sift thru all the b.s. and figure out what pertains to you.
and must also not rationalize to suit what it is you want it to be. which is hard of course.
if your decisions are flawed you tend to get the worst of things.