Ghost vs. Vitaliy #1

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Played my one pocket student, Ukrainian champion/780 Fargo Vitaliy Patsura yesterday.....I'm posting up this wwyd a little differently = I'll say upfront what I was considering doing in this unappealing situation that I was in: It's my shot, my pocket is at the top right, I'm on the rail, and those balls are too damn far away for a 76 year old guy...

All of my many options are "fraught with peril" = can't make the 5ball for him, cuz I'll leave a simple bank on the 3ball......so I'm deciding between: #1. soft kick the left side of the 5ball but, maybe no bueno cuz the 5 may be slightly too close to the long rail to get the cueball lodged behind it/or a slight 1/4" table roll-off would cause a sellout. #2......thin cut the right side of the 5ball - moving it away from his pocket - cueball back uptable but, a very touchy hit shooting off the rail from 9ft away......#3......play the 13-3 combination - cueball knocking the 5ball away but, could hit it poorly/miss the 5, or scratch in Vitaliy's pocket......#4......shoot rail first to make the 5ball for him - cueball going 4rails back up-table but, cueball might run into the 3ball after coming across off of the foot rail.....#5......kick off the foot rail into the right side of the 5ball, but, clip it too thin and sell out/clip it too full, double kiss and sell out.....#6......soft kick the 8-12-3 combination, but, the 9 will hit the 11 and I might sell out a shot on one of those balls, or the 12 could tie up my 3ball......#7......soft kick the 10-14, but might leave a cross-corner bank on the 15.....#8.....thin cut the 4ball, trying to wedge under it, but, the 4 is too close to the head rail and so I probably can't get under it and will leave the shot on the 5......#9......take an intentional/soft roll onto the stack, but, that will just buy time/trade intentionals, and it could get worse for me going forward......so what did I do? - wwyd?.....pic to follow >>>

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
my first inclination was your shot #3, the 13/3 combo and take out 5.

You could also lag the cb under the 4b to buy yourself a new angle next shot. Even if you foul its ok as long as you have the 5 covered.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
what about kicking the right side of the 5 coming off the short rail???
edit
based on a post by you ghost i see that was your option #5

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ghost
with your billiard expertise
i am surprised you didnt mention kicking 2 rails (side rail /foot rail) to kick bank the 5 over to your side and bring the cue ball back up table
:unsure:
😂

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
ghost
with your billiard expertise
i am surprised you didnt mention kicking 2 rails (side rail /foot rail) to kick bank the 5 over to your side and bring the cue ball back up table
:unsure:
😂
I think you are looking at the 3 Larry.. wrong pocket?

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Hey Luke!!!!! Too long, buddy! How about rail first off the long rail before the 1 with RHE, thinning the 1 two rails to your side while bringing the cue around the stack back up towards the 4 ball?

Just a thought?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
And props to my friend Vitaliy (a super nice guy) re. his DCC 9ball tournament = he came in 3rd place, but was so close, hill-hill, one game away from playing Josh Filler for 1st place.....it's scary when I play him cuz he never misses a shot - it's a fun challenge for my defensive game.

Also, I told him to join up with onepocket.org...if he forgets to, I'll remind him.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
First thought, I would not break out anything in the stack.

Second thought, I would execute Ghost's #5 option (kick off the foot rail into the right side of the 5-ball). In furtherance of executing this shot, that although the cue ball is on the rail, I have confidence that I could put a touch of left spin on the cue ball and be able to clip the right side of the 5-ball without double kissing it.

Third thought, although it is difficult to evaluate the distances and angles from this one photograph, another possible option would be to make the 5-ball and have the cue ball follow it in for a scratch.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
My eyes are easily as bad as yours but I'd feel confident enough to thin the right side of the ball in front of his hole to bank it over towards my side. I'd aim center ball trying to clip the right hand 1/8 or 1/4 ball, either of which should be thin enough to miss the kiss to allow the cue ball to come back up table whilst avoiding the stack. You didn't say what the score is but with the balls favoring your hole and only two or three balls available to him, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Hey Luke!!!!! Too long, buddy! How about rail first off the long rail before the 1 with RHE, thinning the 1 two rails to your side while bringing the cue around the stack back up towards the 4 ball?

Just a thought?

Hey bro 🤛 I think Larry also mentioned this shot....reason I didn't consider this shot is the 5 was too close to the pocket points.

Reactions: lll

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Hey bro 🤛 I think Larry also mentioned this shot....reason I didn't consider this shot is the 5 was too close to the pocket points.
Nah Larry wanted to come off the bottom rail. I want to come off the long rail to the left. Looks doable from here. But of course I’m sure you had the best look live.