How good is the break?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
jay helfert said:
Let's see, if you are playing a Race To Four, which is a typical tournament match, winning four our of seven games is huge!

Truth be known, many matches go down just this way in One Pocket. The breaker wins every game, thus making the lag the most important shot in the match.

Jay, as I've pointed out in many discussions, sometimes the break is worth the whole game. Now as you've very shwredly pointed out, sometimes it's worth the set. In order to beat anyone playing sessions or by the game, one has to be able to win some games on his opponents break, while holding serve with his own.
Rod.
PS, The 1st two shots are often the most important in the game.

Skin

Verified Member
androd said:
Jay, as I've pointed out in many discussions, sometimes the break is worth the whole game. Now as you've very shwredly pointed out, sometimes it's worth the set. In order to beat anyone playing sessions or by the game, one has to be able to win some games on his opponents break, while holding serve with his own.
Rod.

That is on my mind a lot, Rod, because my normal 1p set is a race to 3. And I usually only have time to play one set. :eek:

Skin

Tramp Steamer

Verified Member
androd said:
Sometimes it's nothing and eaisly tuned around, some times it's the whole game. Most times it's somewhere in between. If you give it up and your opponent gets in a groove breaking, it can be brutal.
Rod.

So conversely, if I try to get into a groove breaking, and stay there, then it would be advantageous.
For instance, if I leave whitey at the third diamond at every break, the balls heading for my pocket should favor me over the course of a session.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Tramp Steamer said:
So conversely, if I try to get into a groove breaking, and stay there, then it would be advantageous.
For instance, if I leave whitey at the third diamond at every break, the balls heading for my pocket should favor me over the course of a session.
That's true, TS. Although some prefer leaving the CB at diamond 2-1/2.

Doc

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I've been clocking the success of the breaker in random matches from my collection. At this point the breaker has won 45 times against 41 losses. I'm still counting. Last night I reviewed Joyner-McMorran from 1998. In that one, the breaker won only twice in seven tries. More later. :cool: