How Many Spot Shots....

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
One Pocket Ghost said:
I once made 12 out of 20, another time I made 10 out of 20.....:cool:
Well Ghost, to be honest, some of these claims about guys making 50-100 spot shots in a row really stretch my imagination. Not saying they didn't happen, but these are some feats I'd have to see to believe. Perhaps some of these were on smaller tables, or on ones with bucket pockets.

Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
gulfportdoc said:
Well Ghost, to be honest, some of these claims about guys making 50-100 spot shots in a row really stretch my imagination. Not saying they didn't happen, but these are some feats I'd have to see to believe. Perhaps some of these were on smaller tables, or on ones with bucket pockets.

Doc

Well Doc, you know me, I'm not one to be outspoken or sarcastic..:rolleyes:....but this non-strategic-related thread, with all of it's posts about never missin, does seem like it would be more at home over at az.billiards than here on our esteemed, sacrosanct, ONE POCKET site....:cool:

- Ghost

Last edited:

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
I made however many it takes to get 12-4 and the break....hehe!!

One Pocket Ghost said:
Well Doc, you know me, I'm not one to be outspoken or sarcastic..:rolleyes:....but this non-strategic-related thread, with all of it's posts about never missin, does seem like it would be more at home over at az.billiards than here on our esteemed, sacrosanct, ONE POCKET site....:cool:

- Ghost

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
gulfportdoc said:
Fatboy, where did you place the cueball for the spot shots?

Doc

bih behind the line, i think i was shooting left to right, it was the same pocket every time, like i siad I had Randy spotting them up, most on my own is in the 20's-it really helps to have a spotter. they were 4.5" pockets on Murrys(i think what ever pool sharks opened with) not tough tables but not 5" barn doors either.

I will try and see what I can do now days, I bet with in a week I can get over 30 for sure maybe 40 and I'm not a great player, it really isnt that hard.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
a real solid player could make many as they want, making 100 isnt that big of a deal, I just shot them as a practice drill, i was playing good when I did it years ago but not great. Scott, alex, even Bartrum could pop off 100 with out thinking perhaps 200, its a easy shot, 1/2 ball and its impossible to scratch with center ball, whats to miss? for guys like that or weaker players.

I's love to say I made 10 in a row for the $$$ case ball, I havent but at 3am with a spotter and no distractions, no problem.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I use to practice this shot (in the 70s and 80s) a lot. 8 Balls from the left side 7 from the right side. Cue ball exactly one ball off the rail just below the head string. Center ball to the edge of the OB (left from the left side right edge from the right side) on a 9 foot table.

I wouldn't quit this drill until I made all 15 in a row. Then I would use bottom (draw) to get shape on a ball on the end rail behind the spotted ball.
8 from the left and 7 from the right side.

I've always had a better than average confidence level shooting the spot shot.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Spot shots

Spot shots

Ghost. 12-20 & 10-20. I'd bet you also made the other 28 and just aren't telling us. Edit:I'm tired, just got off work. I meant the other 18.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:
Ghost. 12-20 & 10-20. I'd bet you also made the other 28 and just aren't telling us. Edit:I'm tired, just got off work. I meant the other 18.

Nope, not a chance....I can't out shoot anybody - I have to out move them....:cool:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Shooting vs Moving

Shooting vs Moving

That's why I always loved playing on the tightest table I could. Moving don't put balls in the hole, but it'll work until you get a shot.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
Dick <---a spot shot now strikes fear in my heart. :eek:

Yes, I know it does, but don't feel bad about it.

P.S. I've got three days off and I'm going to keep finding posts and threads in the archives and responding to them until some S.O.B. posts something original here:) . Don't think I'm kidding.

Dennis

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:
I've got three days off and I'm going to keep finding posts and threads in the archives and responding to them until some S.O.B. posts something original here:) . Don't think I'm kidding.

Dennis

Something OriGiNaL

- S.O.B.

jay helfert

Verified Member
Yes the spot shot was our "free throw" back in the day. I hate to burst anyone's bubble but it ISN'T a hanger. ANY player who wants to bet even money at making 100 in a row can empty out with me. I didn't stutter either.

We used to bet even money on making ten in a row and it took a good player to do that and win the money. I saw some damn good players miss before they made ten in a row. I am talking about a 9' table here, not a bar box.

I would guess that a good player can consistently make 8 or 9 out of 10. Just like a good free throw shooter who shoots 80-90%. I've got ten thou right now that says no one can make 100 in a row on 4.5" pockets, AND THEY GET TWO TRIES!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I don't think anyone would take that bet. The average player is not likely to be able to make 10 spot shots in a row on a 9' table with 4-1/2 inch pockets. Probably even the average GOOD player would have trouble with that.

Doc

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
jay helfert said:
Yes the spot shot was our "free throw" back in the day. I hate to burst anyone's bubble but it ISN'T a hanger. ANY player who wants to bet even money at making 100 in a row can empty out with me. I didn't stutter either.

We used to bet even money on making ten in a row and it took a good player to do that and win the money. I saw some damn good players miss before they made ten in a row. I am talking about a 9' table here, not a bar box.

I would guess that a good player can consistently make 8 or 9 out of 10. Just like a good free throw shooter who shoots 80-90%. I've got ten thou right now that says no one can make 100 in a row on 4.5" pockets, AND THEY GET TWO TRIES!

Shane might have a chance or JA for sure, I made 53 with Randy spotting them up. Thats the Gods honest truth and perhaps the biggest thing I have done in pool. Funny thing is I wasnt as good of a player then as I am now, its a mental game more than anything. Right now 12-09 I feel confident that I could make 12-15 in a row, which is less than my other posts in this thread, why? Cause I havent been shooting practice drills. If you shoot too many practice drills you just get good at them and your game can suffer.

And your right it was a freethrow, I remember playing 9 ball where everything spotted, so a few times a night the 9 would spot with BIH behind the line. I had that situation double hill more than a few times, I had the best of it. I miss the old 9ball rules and slow cloth.

I really wish the slow cloth would come back in favor again-where you have to pound the CB and going around the table 3 rails really took a stroke-not as much finess as todays equipmnt requires.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Fatboy said:
And your right it was a freethrow, I remember playing 9 ball where everything spotted, so a few times a night the 9 would spot with BIH behind the line. I had that situation double hill more than a few times, I had the best of it. I miss the old 9ball rules and slow cloth.
I agree about the old rules. It was a skill game then. Texas Express has turned 9-ball into a game more similar to slot machines: a game of chance.

I'm not so sure about the old nappy cloth, however. Players had to have strong strokes. With the real slow cloth, the pockets almost had to be a little larger, so as to accommodate the high velocity shots which were necessary to get shape.

1P is a far fairer game than is 9-ball. Much less luck, much more play.

Doc

u12armresl

Verified Member
10 I was shooting into the right corner pocket and would get down on the ball and one stroke it and shoot.

Not huge pockets, but I don't believe as small as others are describing. I shot them on a gold crown at Executive Billiards in Indy.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
yesterday

yesterday

I made 2 and missed 1, is that 66% or 50% ? I turned down 2 others, too risky. Both that I made and the one I missed were slow roll shots, much harder for me. I controled the CB on all three.
Rod.

Greyghost

Verified Member
From
Lafayette, LA
I never really praticed the shot to see how many I could get on the pool table, just shoot it in a few times. When I lived up in tulsa we used to gamble on that shot on the 10' snooker table shooting with the pool balls. Took 20 snaps at it and made 19 total and 17 in a row. Won me a cool hundred. I'm glad you guys started this thread b/c I should definately start praticing that shot again....it is very important.

I'll admit tho that you sure can groove in when shooting the shot repeadetly, I just wouldn't move and kept my feet still and just kept dropping down and keeping the same line...and it just kept going.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Wow I'm surrounded by sharks on this thread. :eek:

I'd be happy to make ten in a row..... ;)

now if someone wants to have a draw contest thats another story. :)

Dudley

SJDinPHX

Suspended
jay helfert said:

I totally agree with Jay's evaluation of the spot shot. I will bet against 15 in a row...with almost any player in the world.
I think you all may be surprised at how few taker's you would get on that wager.

If you allow them to get in a groove, (with someone spotting the balls) they may beat it once or twice in 10 tries.

Not trying to knock your action Jay...but I will give ANYONE, 5 (FIVE) tries, at ONLY 50 in a row....any takers ??? :eek: (9 ft. table only)

PS..You can pick a $$$ number for either bet...:cool:

Last edited: