Howz about some shooting for a change?

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
I haven't yet seen any advocates of the 9,2,1,6 or the 9,1,2,6 route show any cognizance whatsoever of what can go wrong with those patterns so let me point out a few things for y'all.

Firstly, we are not discussing 14.1 and ball-running, we're talking about running balls into one pocket ONLY. They are completely different things and it would be nice if anybody here would recgnize that.

Secondly, those who don't want to "take a chance" should not leave their homes everyday. Taking chances when the right opportunity presents is what we, or at least, what I do.

Now let's look at the layout and see what can go wrong shooting the 9,2,1,6. Let's first all agree that a complete moron should get three balls from here, that's a given.

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@4AQtf4BbQR3FPDw4IKSi3PIdn4QKdN4RROO4lKdN4lRCf4mROO4mRCe@[/CUETABLE]
If you get to the right of the "A" cueball (after shooting the 2 ball) or to the left of the "B" cueball you won't really have a "natural" angle to the 6 ball anymore. Everybody has been advocating the "natural" angle to the 6 but till now no one's mentioned how small the target area is for that. It's not that big guys.

You must also shoot the 9 very good to get on the 2 in such a manner that you can get your "natural" angle on the 1 to get to the 6. You will also be stretching out over the table to shoot the 2 if you are left-handed and to shoot the 1 no matter which hand you play with. If you fail to draw back far enough off the 2 you may even be using a bridge to shoot the 1. All of this can be easily screwed up by the top ten players in the world probably 5 times out of ten, what chance would y'all give yourselves???

I've shot the shapes on the 6 (off the 9) many times in situations like these, sometimes it worked out and sometimes it didn't but I took the shot on my cash and would do it again in a heartbeat in the right situation.

Dennis

No,they are not two completly different things.We are talking about running balls here. This Is the part where you should try to win.Winning the game might be a better discription.At this point Dennis, It's all about winning the damn game.Doesn't matter what you call It!!
Ok Dennis,I'm done.John B.Except that you better not go out In that tall grass,In your back yard...a rabbid groundhog or coon might get ya.haha

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
John Brumback said:
This Is the part where you should try to win.
Now there's an original idea:D . We are both doing that John, we simply see it differently that's all. Did you notice that SJD also said he'd attempt the 9,6? SJD does know the game a little.

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Now there's an original idea:D . We are both doing that John, we simply see it differently that's all. Did you notice that SJD also said he'd attempt the 9,6? SJD does know the game a little.

Dennis
Ok,I'm sorry.Yes I did.John B.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Sometimes the wei diagram fools us to think differently than others, so to make things clear from my prospective it all lays on the angle the 9 ball offers to drop perfectly for the 6 ball. If there was any doubt that I couldn't control the the cue ball effortlessly going from the 9 to the 6 ball than I would play 9,2,1,6.

But there is a lot to be said about 9, 2, 1, 6. Position from the 9 ball to the balls positioned near the side rail offers you options, depending on how you lay on your second shot. And don't under value the position of the 1 ball in terms of dropping for the 6 ball, looks like to me there are many avenues open for position from the 1 ball to the 6 ball.

Billy I.

Skin

Verified Member
John Brumback said:
Ok Skin,sorry,I didn't mean to sound rude and like a know It all.I was just trying to be helpful bud.Your right on the planning ahead part for sure.John B.
PS; glad you didn't take that the wrong way.

Not at all, John. No offense taken. You are making excellent points and I do recognize those are coming from a world champion.

I am not arguing that my way is the best way. It falls on the guy who has to shoot to make that decision. The thing that swayed my decision to shoot 9-6, now that I think about it in retrospect, was the shot required maximum juice - no calibration needed. Just speed control. Shots at the extreme edge of execution sometimes are much easier than shots where you have to carefully calibrate spin and speed together to get position, for me anyway. This one was just load up the cb to the max and make sure not to under- or overshoot the 6.

Hey, 9 ballers do that stuff all the time! :eek:

Skin

bstroud

Verified Member
Every case is a different situation and every player thinks differently.

What we really need to look at in this situation is to apply the correct Principles. That is what I was explaining in my original post.

One pocket is not straight pool is not 9 ball but the same basic principles apply to both games. Assuming that there are no clusters to break up, remove blocker balls first, then balls on the rail that you can shoot straight in. Then go to the other problem balls.

There are always exceptions to these rules. An example is when you would choose to bank a one rail to get behind some balls near your opponents rail.

I practice a lot of straight pool to improve my one pocket. It builds a rhythm for running balls like no other game. And while there are other aspects of one pocket that are important, nothing takes the place of being able to run out from almost any situation.

Bill Stroud

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
At first glance I like the 9-1-2 or 9-2-1 because the nine is tight to the rail and it does require a fair touch to get to the six. A couple of things could go wrong and you'll probably still get out but maybe with a bit more difficulty than necessary.
There are many ways to get to the six from the one or the two and if you fail to do so then the worst is banking the six either cross corner, straight back or a two railer.

However this situation is workable both ways and really not much difference in both. One day you may decide to go one way and the next day you might go the other way. How you feel that particular day may influence your decision.
Many times the situation of the game will dictate to us what to do. Things like table conditions, type of cue ball, humidity, slow or fast cloth, and if you have the confidence in yourself to adjust to these conditions. Obviously the best would be to get to the six on the first shot if you felt good about it.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cowboy Dennis said:
Did you notice that SJD also said he'd attempt the 9,6? SJD does know the game a little.
John Brumback said:
Ok,I'm sorry.Yes I did.John B.
John,

What is it that you're sorry about? Do you stick by 9,2,1,6 (nothing wrong with that, it's just not for me) or do you alter your opinion when an excellent player like SJD gives his opinion? I know that you are a great banker and you say that you've run 168 playing 14.1 (I hope you won something but I doubt it) but this is one-pocket and in the event that nobody has told you yet you are not a top one-pocket player and you have a lot to learn. I have the video proof to back that up if necessary. It's tougher to learn at your age and soon your eyes will be heading south making it even more difficult. I'm here to help, not to argue although it sometimes seems otherwise.

P.S. I've shot so many groundhogs & raccoons (and wild cats) in my yard in the last couple of years that I support a family of opossums (who eat their corpses).

P.Ps I've also had several beers tonight just like you last night:cool: .

P.P.Ps Not intending to insult you John but I already know how to play this game, been doing it since 1978 or so.:)

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
interesting proposition

interesting proposition

How would you run the balls if someone would bet you can't run three balls from this position, and as a bonus if you ran out you would be paid double? And if you didn't run three you would have to pay double. :confused: ;)

I would play 9, 2, 1, 6

Billy I.

Skin

Verified Member
Billy, how would you shoot it if only the 9 and 6 were on the table and you needed both?

Skin

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
How would you run the balls if someone would bet you can't run three balls from this position, and as a bonus if you ran out you would be paid double? And if you didn't run three you would have to pay double. :confused: ;)

I would play 9, 2, 1, 6

Billy I.
What does this have to do with the price of fish? Every game I ever played I got paid if I won and paid out if I lost.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:

I would play 9, 2, 1, 6

Billy I.
You must be related to Einstein to figure out that shot order. Did you ever think of starting your own thread and asking everybody what they would do? Maybe they'd appreciate your logic & thought process (same thing?) down at the local YMCA.

RBL

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
John,

What is it that you're sorry about? Do you stick by 9,2,1,6 (nothing wrong with that, it's just not for me) or do you alter your opinion when an excellent player like SJD gives his opinion? I know that you are a great banker and you say that you've run 168 playing 14.1 (I hope you won something but I doubt it) but this is one-pocket and in the event that nobody has told you yet you are not a top one-pocket player and you have a lot to learn. I have the video proof to back that up if necessary. It's tougher to learn at your age and soon your eyes will be heading south making it even more difficult. I'm here to help, not to argue although it sometimes seems otherwise.

P.S. I've shot so many groundhogs & raccoons (and wild cats) in my yard in the last couple of years that I support a family of opossums (who eat their corpses).

P.Ps I've also had several beers tonight just like you last night:cool: .

P.P.Ps Not intending to insult you John but I already know how to play this game, been doing it since 1978 or so.:)

Dennis

Ok Dennis,Fair enough.I agree with everything you said.No Insult takin by me.I should not argue with my elders at onepocket.I am still trying to learn this game.I do still have to stick to my 9 2 1 6 though, like most of the top players here have said.I was only sorry for the way I came across.I just think there Is more than one way to skin a cat.I just don't see the part where you always have to do the same thing just because the game has a different name.A wins a win to me.I don't care how I got there.Did you know I beat Scott Frost 2 years In a a row at the DCC? Yes In the onepocket part.Then the thrid year In the 9ball.I can play a little onehole.

Like someone already said,It's hard to beat running out the game,Isn't It?
Again your right..my 168 was In my basement by myself.By the way Dennis,I was just wondering what your high run was In straight pool.? Man ruuning the balls out are hard to beat.You can't argue with that uhh? Your a tough man,And I like you for that! Your beer dring buddy,John B.

Skin

Verified Member
John, I like you. But I'd like to ask a question. It may seem kind of sarcastic, but I don't mean it that way.

Do you part ways with the 14.1 guys when it comes to bank shots? You know most of those guy would rather dive into boiling acid than take a bank shot.

Skin

John Brumback

Verified Member
Skin said:
John, I like you. But I'd like to ask a question. It may seem kind of sarcastic, but I don't mean it that way.

Do you part ways with the 14.1 guys when it comes to bank shots? You know most of those guy would rather dive into boiling acid than take a bank shot.

Skin

I don't know If I understand your question good or right but I never bank playing straightpool. But I only play It for practice a little.I think It might be the best game for practice that there Is for all pool games except banks of course.What do you mean,part ways? And thanks,I like you too! John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
John Brumback said:
Ok Dennis,Fair enough.I agree with everything you said.No Insult takin by me.I should not argue with my elders at onepocket.I am still trying to learn this game.I do still have to stick to my 9 2 1 6 though, like most of the top players here have saidThe best player, SJD, said 9,6, but I won't argue anymore..I was only sorry for the way I came across.I just think there Is more than one way to skin a catAbsolutely.I just don't see the part where you always have to do the same thing just because the game has a different nameYou're only shooting at one pocket now John, that other stuff needs to be blocked out of your head..A wins a win to me.I don't care how I got there.Did you know I beat Scott Frost 2 years In a a row at the DCC?No I didn't know that, I don't keep up too much. Yes In the onepocket part.Then the thrid year In the 9ball.I can play a little onehole.Yes you can if you beat Scott twice

Like someone already said,It's hard to beat running out the game,Isn't It?The man who said that has to beg for money from his friends John.
Again your right..my 168 was In my basement by myself.By the way Dennis,I was just wondering what your high run was In straight pool.? Man ruuning the balls out are hard to beat.You can't argue with that uhh?Yep, tough to argue that, I'd have to get you on an extremely tight 5x10 snooker table and see how you liked that:p :D Your a tough man,And I like you for that! Your beer dring buddy,John B.
John,

I probably stopped playing 14.1 in 1977 or so after I discovered 9-Ball, Banks & One-Pocket. I was 19 years old in 1977 and my hi-run in 14.1 was probably 40-45 balls if I remember correctly. The game was dying and nobody cared about it in the poolroom at that point. I loved 14.1 and still think it's a great game. All the things that you learn from playing it are priceless and applicable to most other games. It's too bad it's not a "made-for T.V." game like 9-Ball.

Take care of yourself John

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
well for what its worth
dennis ,skin, and sjd and a few others like the 9-6 route
freddy, billy I., B. stroud, john B. ,myself :)D ) and others prefer the other option

EVERYONE IS RIGHT:)

the reasoning is important and educational
2 chances to get on the 6
get behind the balls that go to your hole(skin)
all good

clear lanes ,make the balls on the rail, go for the open shots(stroud)

although dennis said good advice for straight pool but not necessarily good for one pocket and gave his reasoning which freddy gave a rebuttal

i think good general advice

b. stroud noted there was exceptions

i think if the player thinks its a little more difficult to go from the 9-6

and if hes off then he shoots alittle more difficult shot on the one

hes had to to do 2 alittle more difficult things when he could have gotten 3 the "easy way" and left the alittle more difficult shot for last

if the 9-6 is a no brainer(to those that chose it) than there is no "alittle bit harder part"

i guess ill find out who does and doesnt agree with me soon:)

remember its not personal .... its one pocket:)

bstroud

Verified Member
Speaking of bank pool and straight pool.

Eddy Taylor didn't claim to be a straight pool player but he was the player most feared by the straight pool players.

Why? Because after a few days of playing it he ran more balls than any of them,
50 balls bank a ball 50 more bank in a break shot and run 50 or a 100 more.

Bill Stroud

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
You must be related to Einstein to figure out that shot order. Did you ever think of starting your own thread and asking everybody what they would do? Maybe they'd appreciate your logic & thought process (same thing?) down at the local YMCA.

RBL

My question was designed imo to determine which way was more efficient, after all isn't that what we get paid off for?

But like I mentioned, if falling on the 6 ball was in the high 80% to 90% percentile I would strongly consider going that route. But I highly doubt that it's a free shot to run the four balls, as you say it is.

When speculating about ways to attack a problem you should put it to a test to determine which way is more productive. For instance, try both ways 10 times and then add up the total balls accumalated for the 10 attempt trial. I would think that which ever way produces the most balls would be a fair assesment on which way to proceed.

My suggestion about not running at least three balls should warrant an additional penalty as it would if you were playing in an actual match, after all that does have something to do with the outcome of that particular game.

Mostly all of these which way to go questions are all about gambling, because that's exactly what we're doing, right?

By the way the angle from the 9 ball to the 6 ball looks to be a fairly thin cut which suggest to me that the speed of the shot isn't automatic to fall on the 6 ball. Spin,draw,ect.

Billy I.