NICK vs EFREN

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
nick leads 2 games to 1
its efrens shot
View attachment 4618
My immediate first thought is to send the cue ball up table off the yellow (one or nine -- can't tell which it is) at whatever the natural angle would be to land near the far corner without scratching, and see if a more powerful shot might be available next trip to the table. Banking that same ball looks like kind of a treacherous narrow path, and the cue ball would not slide across the table since it would be such a slight angle (the back would be).

Attachments

• Greenshot_2011-12-02_17-50-51.jpg
    Greenshot_2011-12-02_17-50-51.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 0

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
I still think this is the shot

Attachments

• NICK vs EFREN - OnePocket.png
    NICK vs EFREN - OnePocket.png
    510 KB · Views: 0

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Banking the 1 looks awfully tasty...but since that shot is so obvious and you posted this up, he probably shot something else...like maybe the 5 cross-corner carom off of the bottom of the 9 and into his hole off the striped ball, or into the 6 ball - or thin off of the bottom of the 5, to the side rail, and snookering Nick frozen behind the 15.

- Ghost

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Since the balls are positioned so well, I doubt that Efren would bank the one ball and be satisfied with only that one ball. He might try this for a chance to get a lot more.efren safe shot.JPG

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
My immediate first thought is to send the cue ball up table off the yellow (one or nine -- can't tell which it is) at whatever the natural angle would be to land near the far corner without scratching, and see if a more powerful shot might be available next trip to the table. Banking that same ball looks like kind of a treacherous narrow path, and the cue ball would not slide across the table since it would be such a slight angle (the back would be).
If the 1 ball is bankable I would bank it and play to the top rail with the cue ball, the obvious shot. If the angle is too awkward to bank the 1 ball then I would shoot the 1 ball into the pocket and draw the cue ball to the opposite rail, two diamonds up from the pocket. From that position my opponent cannot play safe off the 7 ball, and will be pressed to find a return shot.

The reason I don't like playing off the 1 ball the way you suggested, is that it looks to be laying on a scratch angle:eek: Further more by playing off the 1 ball the way you drew it up gives your opponent another out, by shooting off the 1 ball. Not true if you pocket the 1 ball

I looked at banking the 6 ball into the stack and drawing the cue ball two cushions up table, but the angle may be too steep of an angle to control the cue ball off of. If not then that shot would be a very effective shot.

The Barber's shot playing the cue ball behind the stripe is a good shot if it lays natural, if not there really isn't much margin for error with the shot.

Cowboy's shot looks to be a very creative shot that needs to be hit well, but has big potential.

Depending on the angle Reyes could possibly do something with the 5 ball (carom bank off the stripe) and go forward with the cue ball. That shot has to have a precise angle to be an option.

Interesting situation, now we can go to school with learning what he did, and why.

Billy I.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I would probably shoot something like this:

View attachment 4623
I like your shot better than the one I came up with Dennis, and also better than the straight back bank. The straight back bank just looks like a dead end to me -- and a toughish shot, where you could catch the far point by the pocket and send the one back to the middle of the table accidentally...

bstroud

Verified Member
If the angle on the 1 ball is right I am banking it with a little draw and playing position on the 6 ball.

If the angle is not there I am shooting the 5 ball into the side of the 9 ball and putting the cue ball on the side rail.

Bill S.

Skin

Verified Member
A good shot here, in my stupid :) opinion, is to play a double kiss off that stripe near Efren's hole and send the cb up to betwen the 2nd and 3rd diamonds on the long rail. That is, if the angle is there for it. It is a simple shot that only requires good speed and it's often there when playing out of the break from this position. The stripe comes up to interfere with the banking lane and the stack protects the balls by the hole.

Skin

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
A good shot here, in my stupid :) opinion, is to play a double kiss off that stripe near Efren's hole and send the cb up to betwen the 2nd and 3rd diamonds on the long rail. That is, if the angle is there for it. It is a simple shot that only requires good speed and it's often there when playing out of the break from this position. The stripe comes up to interfere with the banking lane and the stack protects the balls by the hole.

Skin

I shoot and have practiced many double-kiss shots. This one ain't bad from here although it may not be the most effective shot and they are slightly unpredictable mostly due to the object balls proximity to the rail. Good idea.

Skin's Shot.jpg

See, nobody shot you down here:).

Dennis

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
My second choice is more like the comedy relief

Attachments

• NICK vs EFREN - OnePocket 2.png
    NICK vs EFREN - OnePocket 2.png
    506.7 KB · Views: 0

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
If the 1 ball is bankable I would bank it and play to the top rail with the cue ball, the obvious shot.

Interesting situation, now we can go to school with learning what he did, and why.

Billy I.

well efren took the aggressive approach
instead of leaving the cue ball on the head rail "the obvious choice"
as was mentioned by the commentators also
he banked the ball wirh draw and played position on the 7
b. stroud gets a half cookie for shooting with the goal of running more and a whole cookie since i like his shot better:eek::D
why?? you might ask
playing position on the 6 and getting the cue ball over more on nicks half of the table protects the 7 and gives less options for return shots
imho

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
2 innings prior to the shot
efren was left like this with a different angle
he chose "the obvious choice"
ne3.jpg
the top diagram is his shot

Attachments

• ne2.jpg