NICK vs EFREN

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Your arrow line of position extends a little too long, I like playing for the stripe and then for the 2 ball, providing there's no kiss.

Billy I.

Well you've got the 15 ball there if you hit it a little easy.
Rod.
P.S. As you say the pic look a little different and you would be going thru the bank, but doesn't look to be a kiss.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Efren is the best there is at those little carom bump position shots, so I'm going with this also, with a touch of left english to spread the balls for position:

Attachments

• Greenshot_2011-12-03_21-50-41.jpg
    Greenshot_2011-12-03_21-50-41.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 0

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
What about banking the 5 into the 3 and sending the cue ball behind the 10?

Hard to tell from the picture on my phone but if it was there that's what I would shoot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Maybe this if he can get to the ten ball. I don't like banking the five to the three if I can't get the cue ball out of that area. Too many chances of leaving a return bank on the three or the five.efren bank.JPG

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
What about banking the 5 into the 3 and sending the cue ball behind the 10?

Hard to tell from the picture on my phone but if it was there that's what I would shoot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Like this:

ne10.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
looks like he can bank the 5 ball and clip the 7 ball with the cue ball, the cue ball will flatten out allowing the 5 ball to pass. The 7 ball will be the next ball Reyes will shoot, providing he makes the 5 ball. The problem with this shot is with the 5 and 7 balls, could possibly kiss one another.

Billy I.

Efren is the best there is at those little carom bump position shots, so I'm going with this also, with a touch of left english to spread the balls for position:

the commentators all advocated rods shot no one mentioned drawing into the 7
but dr. bill and steve booth both get cookies:D
efren drew into the 7 made the 5 ball bank
the cue ball did flatten out
ne13.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
its hard to tell from this view the commentators didnt realize either that the stripe(10?) was makeable
efren made got shape for the 2 and its game over
ne15.jpg

Skin

Verified Member
do you think nick or did you think the game would be over from here???:rolleyes::D
View attachment 4663

I know this. The game would not have been over from there if Efren had shot my shot. :) But for me, shooting the 1 straight back for position on the 7 (which Efren must have barely gotten) was not high enough percentage that early in the game. I might be 50:50/60:40 on making that shot (tend to put a little unintentional spin on the ob sometimes on that shot).

I gotta think the safety would be better for me while obviously the bank was better for Efren. Whether Efren's was the right shot once again depends on who's stroking the cue.

Skin

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thanks lll. Did this take place at Derby City? The reason I ask is that the way Efren started that run, with a nice tight straight back bank is the kind of shot that you more associate with Bank Pool/One Pocket players like Bugs or Daulton or even Nick Varner, not so much the profile of Efren 'The Magician' Reyes.

My point is, I have often wondered if having the Bank Pool tournament immediately prior to the One Pocket tournament at Derby City actually influences the style of play in the One Pocket tournament a little (especially with the 'race to three' format). I mean, wouldn't it be likely that all those players are emboldened by their recent immersion in banking, and therefor they tend to shoot their banks -- especially this kind of standard Bank Pool shot -- with a little extra confidence?

What do you all think about this theory?

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Thanks lll. Did this take place at Derby City? The reason I ask is that the way Efren started that run, with a nice tight straight back bank is the kind of shot that you more associate with Bank Pool/One Pocket players like Bugs or Daulton or even Nick Varner, not so much the profile of Efren 'The Magician' Reyes.

My point is, I have often wondered if having the Bank Pool tournament immediately prior to the One Pocket tournament at Derby City actually influences the style of play in the One Pocket tournament a little (especially with the 'race to three' format). I mean, wouldn't it be likely that all those players are emboldened by their recent immersion in banking, and therefor they tend to shoot their banks -- especially this kind of standard Bank Pool shot -- with a little extra confidence?

Maybe i'm repeating, but my thought is he just liked that bank (ie anytime). The way the balls lay, I don't think nick will get a lot or put efren in a stone cold trap if he misses the bank. The gist.....

These guys kick so good, duck so good, do everything so good.... it's hard to get that ever-coveted great shot to shoot a bunch of hangers like we all get against the B+ players. It just aint gonna happen.

So, I think Efren likes it when he has a ~50% chance to win the game if he misses (give or take), and probably a sure victory if he makes it.

In any case, it has been a fruitful discussion.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

yes steve this was at the 1999 D.C.C.
efren and nick met in the banks and efren lost 3-2 and nick went on to win the bank pool division
nick lost this match 3-2 and efren went on to win the 1p division

im really not qualified to say since ive never played a bank tournament and a 1p tournament at the same timeor sequentially.
but it seems resonable to assume they would have more confidence in their banks after playing banl pool