Official sign up list for 2024 MOT at Railyard Billiards, Louisville, KY

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Trip report:

Lots of killers fell today. Including the 1st and 2nd opening bid players and me...lol. They went for 500 and 700 in the auction.
Newkirk in fine form as usual playing the best local talent all this week. He never seems to get tired... 😆 Arizona Jay dealing....Lou in stroke and JR the giant killer playing for the chair. Final 4. 1 Texan, 2 from St Louis and a retired Chicago cop. Three of these guys are well over 70. Incredible stamina and great guys to boot.

Honorable mention to the ever young and crazy 79 yr old Bill Rowsey who not only finished deep but has half his retirement fund invested in the auction ..😆 🤣 😂 Col Billie made a much needed appearance. Sandy showed up with the straightest shooting female player i ever played.. I barely squeaked by her last night..

But we all missed our Matt and Lizz. I'll still be in town tomorrow and probably make a appearance for the finals. Wiring my nephews basement remodel tomorrow before I go home. It was in the trip plan.. its been fun, Me and Steve worked our problem out.. Railyard and Kyle are the best!

ahem, one of these guys *just* turned 70.

Lou Figueroa
geezer, just not
that geezen

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
ahem, one of these guys *just* turned 70.

Lou Figueroa
geezer, just not
that geezen
Good shooting Lou. I still remember the old days in St. Louis when I first started learning 1P, you were one of the first guys to school me. Good luck the rest of the way.

How old is Jay?

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Good shooting Lou. I still remember the old days in St. Louis when I first started learning 1P, you were one of the first guys to school me. Good luck the rest of the way.

How old is Jay?

Thanks, Pilot.

Don’t know how old Jay is. He’s got a touch of grey at the sides so he no spring chicken.

Lou Figueroa

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Is the a shot of the sheet with who went for what?

Lou Figueroa
I have a shot of the bid sheet but we don’t post all the details of the calcutta. That seems to be the convention when it comes to calcuttas. But it’s needed on the TD end so the money goes to the correct bidders.

{$Tingle$}

Hey guys I just wanted to say thanks for having this and welcoming me for my first members only tournament and first ever bank tournament. I had an absolute blast and met some of the coolest people/characters that I have been around in a very long time! Can't wait to do it again. Hopefully I can make the one in May! Special thanks to Steve, John, Chris, and Kyle. Awesome group I'm very happy to be a part of!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
My Tournament Report:

Bank mini - I missed the money (final 4) by one ball at the hands of Ken Lee from Chicago. He played great I was lucky to get to a game a piece.

Main Tourney - first round I played our host at Railyards. It was closer than the score but I won. Kyle's fundamentals looks a lot like Fedor, I wonder why? Lol

Second round I played our own Col Bille Miller. It warmed my heart that the bionic man was there and playing well. Welcome back Bille! I eked out a win and done for the day.

Third round - I played the always tough J.R. who was extra tough during our match. To give you an idea what I mean, I challenged him with a long straight in on tough pockets after he kept me under his thumb for 45 minutes with great safety play...he rolled that tough shot in like it was easy (not). I told him he can't play great safeties AND shoot so great, pick one or the other you can't do both 🤣😂😢.

So far, I am 0 - 3 against Chicago if you include Mike Eck in the finals of California Billiards in June and the two this tournament. I'm glad The Ghost wasn't here or it may have been 4, but he was missed. Damn you Chicagoans.

Next was a very tough match with Rowsey. Man is he tough and cunning. I guess after a hundred years of playing you pick up a few things. He played one of those mythical double kiss banks that missed by a hair. I have never seen it in competition before, just watching videos. I sneaked out a win, but still don't know how. Wow.

Ok, at this point I'm in the money at 7/8th, but hoping for more. The only problem was that Robert Newkirk was standing in my way on the TV table. It was a battle as you can imagine and went hill-hill. I had the early advantage, but that quickly shifted when for reasons I don't understand, I blew up a few innings in a row trying to doing easy things. I finished 7th/8th as you may have guessed. Robert, like Rowsey is tough as nails with no give up in him. Why do those guys try so hard? Ugh.

Thank you to Kyle and his staff at Railyards, Steve Booth and of course John Crabb, the hardest working man in one pocket.

I finally got to meet Sandra Stevens who was a lot of fun and her straight shooting friend Liz.

I'm tired but all was great.
Dave

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
My Tournament Report:

Bank mini - I missed the money (final 4) by one ball at the hands of Ken Lee from Chicago. He played great I was lucky to get to a game a piece.

Main Tourney - first round I played our host at Railyards. It was closer than the score but I won. Kyle's fundamentals looks a lot like Fedor, I wonder why? Lol

Second round I played our own Col Bille Miller. It warmed my heart that the bionic man was there and playing well. Welcome back Bille! I eked out a win and done for the day.

Third round - I played the always tough J.R. who was extra tough during our match. To give you an idea what mean, I challenged him with a long straight in on tough pockets after he kept me under his thumb for 45 minutes with great safety play...he rolled tough shot like it was easy (not). I told him he can't play great safeties AND shot so great, pick one or the other you can't do both 🤣😂😢.

So far, I am 0 - 3 against Chicago if you include Mike Eck in the finals of California Billiards in June and the two this tournament. I'm glad The Ghost wasn't here or it may have been 4, but he was missed. Damn you Chicagoans.

Next was a very tough match with Rowsey. Man is he tough and cunning. I guess after a hundred years of playing you pick up a few things. He played one of those mythical double kiss banks that missed by a hair. I have never seen it in competition before, just trying videos. I sneaked out a win, but still don't know how. Wow.

Ok, at this point I'm in the money at 7/8th, but hoping for more. The only problem was that Robert Newkirk was standing in my way on the TV table. It was a battle as you can imagine and went hill-hill. I had the early advantage, but that quickly shifted when for reasons I don't understand, I blew up a few innings in a row trying to doing easy things. I finished 7th/8th as you may have guessed. Robert, like Rowsey is tough as nails with no give up in him. Why do those guys try so hard? Ugh.

Thank you to Kyle and his staff at Railyards, Steve Booth and of course John Crabb, the hardest working man in one pocket.

I finally got to meet Sandra Stevens who was a lot of fun and her straight shooting friend Liz.

I'm tired but all was great.
Dave
Nice report. I'll you soon :)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Hey guys I just wanted to say thanks for having this and welcoming me for my first members only tournament and first ever bank tournament. I had an absolute blast and met some of the coolest people/characters that I have been around in a very long time! Can't wait to do it again. Hopefully I can make the one in May! Special thanks to Steve, John, Chris, and Kyle. Awesome group I'm very happy to be a part of!
Great to meet you Justin and you sure do fit in — both your easy going personality and your gentlemanly but strong competitive play!! Nice to meet your wife too — I hope both of you can make it to Buffalo’s in May. It’s great to see we got you hooked 😁😁

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Steve
could you post again with the rule question was during Cincy kids match?
EDIT
cincy's report explained the situation
thanks chris

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Cincy's report

Great to see some faces I haven't seen in awhile as well as meet some new people. Some of the new people I met included Chuck (RedCard), Mike Brown, Arizona Jay, Joe Kerley, Ken Lee, Beltsander Bill, Andy Warren, Rowsey (although I think I met him at the derby one year), Sandy (fanatic) and her friend Liz Taylor who both played good one pocket and hope they make some more events, Kyle (the owner) who just has an incredible room (40,000+ square feet) and as a player himself makes for a great host, and I didn't get a chance to introduce myself to Anthony Lopez who made the trip out from Cali, but I saw he could play some good one hole and seemed like a very nice guy, Ken Lee, another fellow one holer who came with the Chicago guys, Jason Dugas who I played in the tournament and another super nice guy, and my buddy Neil (Jalapus Logan) came over from Lexington and introduced me to his fried Don, another lover of pool and one hole.

Action

I gave my buddy Justin a ride to the tourney and we got there and grabbed a table and played some one hole and banks and ended up breaking even in both. After seeing his performance this weekend, I think I need weight in both. The only other action I had was with Dave (12squared) who bested me 2 games before the tourney was getting ready to start. Always a pleasure and good to see you again!

Tournament

First match I played Joe Kerley, a member from the Memphis area. First game I made a couple bad shots and he got to 7 and I think I needed 4 or 5. I just told myself to play super conservative and I tried not to give him any shot and hope he would make a mistake. He finally did and scratched which put me back in it and I ended up coming back and winning that game. It was a competitive match and I think the momentum of me grinding out the previous game took me to the finish line in this one. Cincy wins.

Second match I played Jason Dugas, a local who also spent a lot of time in Cincinnati around the same time, maybe we bumped in to each other back then and didn't know it. Another super nice guy who played real good, especially for not playing in many years. I banked so good that set it would have been hard for anyone to beat me, lol. I played well and got the W. Cincy wins.

Following Day, third match, I play Lou. Of course we get put on the TV table, which normally would have been fine, especially if it would have been one of my matches from the day before, but in this instance, I sure played bad. I think the extra pressure of the stream table probably affected me some, but I also just made some bad shots. Not taking anything away from Lou, he played good and kept me locked up most of the time. Cincy loses.

I see that I play the winner of my buddy Justin or Andy Warren on the one loss side. Although I have not seen Andy play before, I know he can play real well. He not only won an MOT in the past, but also went for the first blind bid in the auction. So I was hoping Justin won because I thought I had a better chance to advance if I played Justin instead of Andy...Justin grinds it out and gets the win.

Match four, I played Justin and I was really looking forward to it as we play pretty close. I make a few good shots game one and eventually get the win for game one. Game two, I am playing well and get on the hill and I make a real good 3 rail shot and lay my out ball deep inside the pocket. CB is froze to the head rail middle diamond. I need the one in my hole and he needs 4. At this stage I am thinking ok, I am up 2-0 and I break for the cheese. Justin had jumped the CB off the table earlier in the game when pocketing my ball instead of following it in, so I asked him, "are you jumping this one off too?" He said yes, jacked up, took some practice strokes and then when he stroked the shot, instead of hitting the CB, he accidentally hits the 8 ball (which was maybe 1/4" away from the CB on the head rail too) and the 8 ball rolls maybe 6 inches to the right.

Neither of us was really sure what to do, so I grabbed Steve and asked him to make the call. His initial thought was that it was a foul. However, we were playing CB fouls only and he never touched the CB. Also the 8 never disturbed any other balls, so we all 3 agreed just putting the 8 ball back to where it was and have Justin shoot again was the right call. So that's what we did and he proceeded to pocket my ball and jump the CB off putting 2 balls on the spot. We went back and forth and he kept picking off balls one at a time and came back and beat me. I was so deflated now that it was 1-1 instead of 2-0 that I kept making mistakes and he kept taking advantage of them. Cincy loses.

I can see how he took 2nd in the banks mini because he may have only missed 2 banks he shot at the whole set. Made some really good banks! Great shooting buddy and you impressed me all weekend.

I was broke down and flustered so I took off shortly after and got home last night. Was a great time as always and I will say again if you have not been to one of these before and you like one pocket, you should treat yourself to one some year, great people, great competition!

Thanks again to John and Steve for helping run a smoothe tourney and to Kyle for hosting us (and helping run the tourney), all three of you while trying to play in it as well!

Last edited:

{$Tingle$}

Cincy's report

Great to see some faces I haven't seen in awhile as well as meet some new people. Some of the new people I met included Chuck (RedCard), Mike Brown, Arizona Jay, Joe Kerley, Beltsander Bill, Andy Warren, Rowsey (although I think I met him at the derby one year), Sandy (fanatic) and her friend Liz Taylor who both played good one pocket and hope they make some more events, Kyle (the owner) who just has an incredible room (40,000+ square feet) and as a player himself makes for a great host, and I didn't get a chance to introduce myself to Anthony Lopez who made the trip out from Cali, but I saw he could play some good one hole and seemed like a very nice guy, Ken Lee, another fellow one holer who came with the Chicago guys, Jason Dugas who I played in the tournament and another super nice guy, and my buddy Neil (Jalapus Logan) came over from Lexington and introduced me to his fried Don, another lover of pool and one hole.

Action

I gave my buddy Justin a ride to the tourney and we got there and grabbed a table and played some one hole and banks and ended up breaking even in both. After seeing his performance this weekend, I think I need weight in both. The only other action I had was with Dave (12squared) who bested me 2 games before the tourney was getting ready to start. Always a pleasure and good to see you again!

Tournament

First match I played Joe Kerley, a member from the Memphis area. First game I made a couple bad shots and he got to 7 and I think I needed 4 or 5. I just told myself to play super conservative and I tried not to give him any shot and hope he would make a mistake. He finally did and scratched which put me back in it and I ended up coming back and winning that game. It was a competitive match and I think the momentum of me grinding out the previous game took me to the finish line in this one. Cincy wins.

Second match I played Jason Dugas, a local who also spent a lot of time in Cincinnati around the same time, maybe we bumped in to each other back then and didn't know it. Another super nice guy who played real good, especially for not playing in many years. I banked so good that set it would have been hard for anyone to beat me, lol. I played well and got the W. Cincy wins.

Following Day, third match, I play Lou. Of course we get put on the TV table, which normally would have been fine, especially if it would have been one of my matches from the day before, but in this instance, I sure played bad. I think the extra pressure of the stream table probably affected me some, but I also just made some bad shots. Not taking anything away from Lou, he played good and kept me locked up most of the time. Cincy loses.

I see that I play the winner of my buddy Justin or Andy Warren on the one loss side. Although I have not seen Andy play before, I know he can play real well. He not only won an MOT in the past, but also went for the first blind bid in the auction. So I was hoping Justin won because I thought I had a better chance to advance if I played Justin instead of Andy...Justin grinds it out and gets the win.

Match four, I played Justin and I was really looking forward to it as we play pretty close. I make a few good shots game one and eventually get the win for game one. Game two, I am playing well and get on the hill and I make a real good 3 rail shot and lay my out ball deep inside the pocket. CB is froze to the head rail middle diamond. I need the one in my hole and he needs 4. At this stage I am thinking ok, I am up 2-0 and I break for the cheese. Justin had jumped the CB off the table earlier in the game when pocketing my ball instead of following it in, so I asked him, "are you jumping this one off too?" He said yes, jacked up, took some practice strokes and then when he stroked the shot, instead of hitting the CB, he accidentally hits the 8 ball (which was maybe 1/4" away from the CB on the head rail too) and the 8 ball rolls maybe 6 inches to the right.

Neither of us was really sure what to do, so I grabbed Steve and asked him to make the call. His initial thought was that it was a foul. However, we were playing CB fouls only and he never touched the CB. Also the 8 never disturbed any other balls, so we all 3 agreed just putting the 8 ball back to where it was and have Justin shoot again was the right call. So that's what we did and he proceeded to pocket my ball and jump the CB off putting 2 balls on the spot. We went back and forth and he kept picking off balls one at a time and came back and beat me. I was so deflated now that it was 1-1 instead of 2-0 that I kept making mistakes and he kept taking advantage of them. Cincy loses.

I can see how he took 2nd in the banks mini because he may have only missed 2 banks he shot at the whole set. Made some really good banks! Great shooting buddy and you impressed me all weekend.

I was broke down and flustered so I took off shortly after and got home last night. Was a great time as always and I will say again if you have not been to one of these before and you like one pocket, you should treat yourself to one some year, great people, great competition!

Thanks again to John and Steve for helping run a smoothe tourney and to Kyle for hosting us (and helping run the tourney), all three of you while trying to play in it as well!
Thanks Chris for the ride and the games....it was a true battle that 2nd game and I had to really bear down and take it one shot at a time. But I'm ready to battle again... Steel sharpens steel pal.