Ray vs. Tom #1.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I took my shot to the table last night and you are right whitey it's not the angle and shot i thought it was from the pics.

When I was setting it up, it almost looked like the 9 ball was heading towards my hole..14-4-5-9.. a four ball combo, but that's not the shot unless you see it as dead.

So I think I would possibly shoot the 10 like Mike and roll down to foot rail but if I miss it.. the 10 could come back and miss the cb so that it sells out the 9.

At the end of the day I may just bank the 15 to my side and cb up not far enough to sell out the 1.

Good wwyd ghost!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Two shots I like in their order…
(1) soft cross the 15 to the middle of the foot rail, cb into the 4 ball gently…. Correct speed is essential…
(2) bank the 1 ball and leave it behind the 10 ball and play all cb to freeze on the top rail str8 in on the 15…

#1 removes the 15 and protects the 10 while leaving nothing offensive and puts Tom in an uncomfortable spot, so, I’m going with #1…

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Another shot is to shoot the 12 ball on the spot into the 5 and the 5 caroms off of the 9 towards my hole. The cb will clear the stack and double out by the 15 ball. ???
This is where I need help, because not sure about the cb going to end up by the 15,
Or,
not sure if I can double the cb out of the corner off the long rail and bring it back into the stack! ???
Whitey

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Another shot is to shoot the 12 ball on the spot into the 5 and the 5 caroms off of the 9 towards my hole. The cb will clear the stack and double out by the 15 ball. ???
This is where I need help, because not sure about the cb going to end up by the 15,
Or,
not sure if I can double the cb out of the corner off the long rail and bring it back into the stack! ???
Whitey
Looked to me like the 5 goes into 9 and gets the 9 close to your hole

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Looked to me like the 5 goes into 9 and gets the 9 close to your hole
Cincy Kid, would you set up the 12 ball on the spot, and locate the cb where it is, and cut the 12 on an angle to miss the 4 but to hit the 5. It should not be to much of a cut, a little past center.
I want to see where the cb goes. I am wondering if the cb will double out into the stack or double off the short rail and go over by the 15, or scratch. Thanks, my table is tarp and loaded, otherwise I would of course would be doing these shots.

Wish Tom would jump in here for a shot selection!
Whitey

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Cincy Kid, would you set up the 12 ball on the spot, and locate the cb where it is, and cut the 12 on an angle to miss the 4 but to hit the 5. It should not be to much of a cut, a little past center.
I want to see where the cb goes. I am wondering if the cb will double out into the stack or double off the short rail and go over by the 15, or scratch. Thanks, my table is tarp and loaded, otherwise I would of course would be doing these shots.

Wish Tom would jump in here for a shot selection!
Whitey
It's hard to get the exact spots for the balls near the rack unless you have some good overhead shots of the layout. I will try it later though!

unoperro

Verified Member
Whitey I doubt you can hit anything but the very bottom of stack which wouldn't be good.

It may be possible to double out of the corner-foot rail/long rail and carom off the 15 into the stack. Seems too little reward for the risk.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
unopero,
well you are in an opposite camp than I am. In reading the stack, I believe my shots are relevant in sending a ball towards my hole and protecting them. They are a 'master' type shot. This is a keyboard, so we are all masters. I've never done just keyboard, so this is all new for me.
Whitey

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Or,
Whitey
Whitey,
I like the idea of this shot, however if I’m looking at it correctly, the ball nearest the spot is the 14 ball, and in order to catch any portion of the 15 ball coming two rails outta the corner, the 14 would have to be cut fairly thin, and if that’s done, the 5 ball, which incidentally looks like it’s frozen to the one ball, is opening up/moving the 1 ball out towards his pocket, ( cannot avoid moving that 1 ball when cutting the 14 into the 5 ) and the one ball is also opening up the 7 ball that lays just behind the one, and it also could very possibly open up the 4 ball to Toms pocket depending on how far the one ball moves! Talk about “ fraught with peril” Seeing that as a certainty, plus the added chance of completely missing the carom on the 15 ball and selling out the entire game, would absolutely prohibit me shooting this shot… id be forced to look elsewhere…. But the idea of the shot, shows you are very creative and always looking for an aggressive move that will change the outcome of a game with one creative stroke! The idea was great, but the lay of the balls won’t let it play out well imo… however, I could be seeing things that won’t happen, it’s difficult to see the exact position of the balls and where they are going without an overhead pic….

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I would bank the 15-ball and attempt to get it as close to my side of the table. I would focus on not striking the stack with the cue ball which would mean a thin cut on the 15-ball. I would bring the cue ball down table to approximately where the cue ball was originally positioned.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Jeff,
We will never know, because the chance that this is the shot selection is pretty darn low. But I find it interesting in trying to read the stack as we have done, and even more interesting in coming up with different conclusions.
Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it!
Whitey

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
@Jeff sparks
what do you think happen if you go off the 4 instead of the 14
will cue ball 2 rail into the 15?
to me the 7 doesnt get moved too much
the 1 i think drops to the foot rail
and the 9 goes toward tom's hole
??

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
@Jeff sparks
what do you think happen if you go off the 4 instead of the 14
will cue ball 2 rail into the 15?
to me the 7 doesnt get moved too much
the 1 i think drops to the foot rail
and the 9 goes toward tom's hole
??
this seems dicey to me since you need such a thin hit on the 4 much easier to slightly miss hit and go around the 15 or in front

Kybanks

Verified Member
I don't like anything that involves crossing the 15 ball over to my side. Imo it's a shot that is all risk and no reward. The other shot I wouldn't shoot is the 10 ball straight in cause it doesn't gain much either. After making the 10 ball how do you defend yourself from the 1 ball bank or being stuck on the wrong side of the stack after his inning?

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Larry, it’s an interesting shot, and a gambling shot imo. The movement of the balls looks positive with the 9 being the best…
However as I said, it’s a gambling shot in that you will be betting on the two rail carom having a good result after contact with the 15 ball, and that in itself is a tough proposition…. will be putting the result in the hands of luck more than skill. It could work out fantastically, potting the 9 and running some balls, however, you have to ask yourself this question….ala Clint… lol. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya?

Reactions: lll