8th Annual Seniors One Pocket Tournament Bogies Billiards Houston, Tx.

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
@lll How did you do at Bogie's? I checked the bracket online but I guess the scorekeepers gave up on keeping it updated. :cool:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
@lll How did you do at Bogie's? I checked the bracket online but I guess the scorekeepers gave up on keeping it updated. :cool:
0-2
Had a great first match with baby huey / jerry matchin
He won, but I did my best to hang in there and fight till the end
Also got to talk and get to know him the next day that was very enjoyable
I’m at the airport now my flight was delayed so I’ll call you tomorrow and tell you a little more about what went on

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
"Ray might have no choice."

That's true, but the one choice is not how to manage time. It will be ending the Senior tournament on his PPV list.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I will use fast forward a lot watching Nick's matches but I am actually happy these are on tape. To study the classic Nick Varner's wedge game.
Nick Varner's 100min game of One Pocket against Allen Hopkins from the first Legends Of One Pocket Tournament from 1992 was actually a best seller on Accu-Stats.
I can see why it's tough for commentators and TD (I wouldn't be able to watch a 13 hours match in one sitting without fast forward buttons.)
But for cash games it is a powerful tool to have in your arsenal and there are lot's of parts of the game used and known by cash players loving to gamble on their game that are almost impossible to find on video:

Corey Deuel and Alex Pagulayan loved/love to bet on One Pocket Ghost (either reaching some fixed amount in 5 innings like 44 balls or their chance of running all 15 balls in One Pocket). But I couldn't find more than perhaps 6 hours of this game played by a professional on video.
One Ball One Pocket is a big game (for side tournaments and for gambling) but there is hardly any material on video for this one.
And for Nick's wedge game: I love all aspects of One Pocket and like to know the in and outs of his ultra defensive game (which obviously tends to win the cash). And I had only 2-3 wedge games from him on video before 😄
There should be three years of one ball tournaments at the Buffalos Pro Classic. Ray has those and to my knowledge, the One ball events began at Jeremy Jones' suggestion at Buffalos in 2021. I think there is another event in Birmingham where Josh Roberts won it. That should be January of 2022. Ray should also have that.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
"Ray might have no choice."

That's true, but the one choice is not how to manage time. It will be ending the Senior tournament on his PPV list.
I couldn't watch it. Most of us know a lot about the game and there was no justification for that slow play. None. Two minutes to pace the table, only to take a foul or bunt while every ball is out of play. Grady's Rule would put an end to that nonsense to be sure, but up table play is part of the game. We'll try the game clock and see if it works.

Texas3cushion

Am I the only one who finds it strange that the wedge or slow-playing
could in any way be the optimal strategy for winning.

I don't think Varner or Parica are immune to being tired after even 5 hours.

Sure Varner won but did he win because of his style?

It's hard for me to believe that those guys need as much time to think as they take.

If I was to take that long, I think I'd shark myself.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Am I the only one who finds it strange that the wedge or slow-playing
could in any way be the optimal strategy for winning.

I don't think Varner or Parica are immune to being tired after even 5 hours.

Sure Varner won but did he win because of his style?

It's hard for me to believe that those guys need as much time to think as they take.

If I was to take that long, I think I'd shark myself.
In my view, it was a move designed to tire out his opponent. He is in good shape for his age, and he physically and mentally exhausted his opponent. These kinds of attrition warfare games are better suited for gambling.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I don't know, I still think there is a better way for a world-class player to win.
Currently, he has a 782 Fargo while Chohan has 778.
I would question the accuracy of Nick Varner's Fargo if it is 782. His skills have diminished, there's no doubt. But he always kind of played like this. Since the end of the road players and rise of the smart phones, tournaments are now how players make their living. And that means it is streamed to the masses. And the masses are not going for that kind of play. It's not entertaining and they won't support it. The old school hard core appreciate the grit needed to play that style, but those supporters are few and far between. For the younger audience, it's just boring and slow. And we know there is a better, more exciting way. The offensive revolution that has occurred in the last 15 years is the promise of one pocket to a wider audience. There is a reason that nobody in the top 20 plays Varner's style. It can't win at the professional level. But against septuagenarians, it works because their stamina gives out.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Nick won the first two games. The commentators quit. They turned off the scoreboard. It's after 2: am my time. Truck went to bed... They're taking multiple fouls. Another set after this seems likely. All 15 balls on the table. Looks like they're going up table. Nine balls in the kitchen.. This is unique.. I might have to watch
Wow. Ray sold tickets to this tournament but decided he didn't need to cover it if he got sleepy. And he is the designated TD by the way.

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
If I was the TD, at some point I would have admonished both players and told them to knock it off — and on my next visit I would have taken all the balls off the table except one and told them they were in “sudden death” mode and playing one ball 1pocket.

I think I might also tell them they were in jeopardy of being banned from future iterations of the event.

Lou Figueroa
time for some
tough love
Going to a sudden death One Ball One Pocket game is actually not a bad idea in extreme situations. The One Ball version itself is popular right now and already understood by most players.

Of course, there could be a lot of bunting around at that too ...

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Think it was game 3, Nick missed 4 or 5 game balls, more than a couple very make able balls. Mark played a couple frustration shots and finally gave up that game on one.
When Nick passed on a perfectly good shot (this particular one totally baffling) I had had enough & went to bed.

Rango

Aloha , I am PATV subscriber year round . I love the replay section - great for help in learning all the cue sports . Some of the One Pocket stuff is amazing . The skill , creativity and shot making are almost magical . As BRLongArm mentioned 13 hour matches on pay for view will never sell . It’s almost embarrassing to watch a HOF ‘er take that long to decide and shoot a bunt shot - over & over - for hours . . Purists “ slings and arrows “ welcome . But these 12 hour shifts ain’t gonna sell .

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I just landed, so I have not read many of the posts but my question to everyone is how many other tournaments do you see this ( 6 or more hour matches)
The big pro tournaments you can read all the statistics the matches don’t take that long because the guys can run out from everywhere
And they have confidence they can come with a shot
so I think the problem arises more when you have amateurs and/or seniors don’t shoot so Street in there for a good therefore go for a higher percentage less risk defensive shots
I think it’s those type of tournaments where there will be problems